SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wormgirl

Diagnosis needed: sick Anna Russian

wormgirl_8a_WA
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Disclaimer: I know this is what may happen when I do not fungicide :)

Ok, most of my tomatoes are fine. And Anna Russian has looked "droopy," yes, the whole time. But all of a sudden this weekend she was obviously diseased. I took a lot of diseased foliage off that looked like this (and worse but I neglected to take a photo). There is a powdery substance on the leaves, but this isn't like powdery mildew that I have seen.

The stems look terrible too -

Now she is completely wilted at the growing tips, while other parts of the plant look relatively ok:

Watering does not improve the situation. I am using a very well draining mix and it's a smaller pot, so I don't THINK the plant is overwatered, (although unfortunately my "helpful" neighbor may have been watering this plant when I'm not around.) Anyway, it might be both diseased AND overwatered, or perhaps this wilt is related to the disease.

I think she hated both the way too small pot and the hot side of my garden. She was obviously stressed and that made her suceptible to whatever she has. I have 15 other tomato plants that are doing awesome, so I guess she just didn't like her conditions/my garden, or maybe something happened to her before I got her. I did notice her color has been very pale green the whole time, and I don't know if that's normal for this variety.

Here is my question. Should I pull the plant now, or attempt to let the tomatoes ripen a bit more before pulling it? I don't want this to spread. I was thinking of spraying with bleach solution or peroxide solution to quell the spread but maybe it's just not worth taking the chance...

Jenn

PS: Other cultural conditions:

- 6 gallon pot - obviously way too small - many other varieties tolerate this, but not Anna.

- My version of 5:1:1 mix - a composted bark based potting mix which drains very well

- Mostly Texas Tomato food, usually every couple weeks. G&B Tomato Food (dry) mixed in at planting time.

- Watered as needed by actually testing soil, although neighbor may be thwarting me

- It was in my South bed with 7 hours of sun and lots of heat. I actually moved her to my east bed which has 7 hours as well, but earlier and not so hot. Shaded in the PM.

- None of this really matters since I just want your opinions on how contagious this plant is!

Comments (5)