SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
houserookie2

Your build, and who is the boss?

houserookie
8 years ago

We live in a large metropolitan area, where if you want to have a commute of less than 2 hrs, you need to buy a lot, not a piece of land. Well, the lot will most likely be in somebody's previous land, which is now being developed into a new community of smaller lots.

So that's where we are building. Larger lot than the average for the area tho. Not sure if it would be considered what I've read here as a McMansion. I understand there is a negative connotation to this term. Not quite sure why, since different people have different circumstances and needs. But the house we are building is definitely not a mansion. :) So, bad term or not, somebody's McMansion is after all somebody's home, and that is what's important.

In my mind, a mansion is something like 20 bedrooms, 25 bathrooms, indoor pool kinda thing. Ours will be a 5 bedroom home. No pool whatsoever. There. Definitely not a mansion. No wishes to clean 25 bathrooms by myself. Unless I could afford a cleaning staff. I would have no problems owning a mansion then.

But I digress....

Style, well, I see it as a traditional/transitional, 2-story brick and stone exterior. Not sure it has an official name, like ranch, or craftsman, bungalow, or colonial.

Throughout the entire project, I've been the one making 99% of the decisions. DH has the power of veto, and he did use it when we (I) were (was) choosing the front elevation, some light fixtures, and part of the kitchen configuration. Our agreement is that he gets to have a separate office, and I Ok'd his request for a rain shower and shower sprays in our master shower, and I get to choose everything else. I thought this was a fair deal. ;)

In summary:

TYPE: Metropolitan size lot, 70 x 133 ft

STYLE: Traditional/Transitional

EXTERIOR: Brick and stone

BEDROOMS: 5 (master down)

BATHROOMS: 4 + 2 powders

BASEMENT: N/A

GARAGE: 2 + 1 attached

BUILDING PROCESS BOSS: 99% me, 1% him ("and that'd the way, um-hum um-hum, I like it....")

MOST LOOKING FORWARD TO: Storage!, new kitchen, master bathroom, larger laundry room with a sink!, office just for me.

Comments (33)