SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elba10

Need help with big party

elba1
8 years ago

Hi folks, my daughter just graduated from high school. We will be having a large (likely over 60 people) graduation party for her in a few weeks at our home from 3-7pm. We don't have a large house, so hoping for good weather! We only have one refrigerator and an upright freezer. I prefer homemade food, but there is no way I can do all of it, time and space wise, and we want to keep the costs "reasonable." Here is what I am thinking so far: I bought 18# of pork today - will make pulled pork tomorrow in my large Nesco and freeze it. Will serve it with rolls and make a large green salad. Found the best place in town to buy a large 6 foot grinder, more if needed (would do 1/2 Italian/1/2 American) - comes with macaroni salad, potato salad and coleslaw made in store - I sampled the macaroni salad and coleslaw today - they were good - not too "mayonaisey" or vinegary or sweet. They were out of potato salad, I will go back to sample that. Is that enough for the main course? Should I make a big pot of meatballs or something else as well?l

For dessert, lots of homemade cookies, which I'll start making and freezing - was thinking chocolate chip, chocolate crinkles (I feel they taste "brownie like"), and my daughter thought maybe sugar cookies that could be decorated with frosting, etc. if desired. I will also have some that are gluten free for my nephew. A big vanilla Costco cake, and watermelon. How does that sound? Would ice cream or anything else be an important addition?

For appetizers, I'll make spinach dip - would like to know how to season it without the typical soup mix - with raw veggies and potato chips. A big bowl of salsa with tortilla chips, and I was thinking buffalo chicken dip - I would cook and shred the chicken ahead of time and freeze it. Maybe also a bowl of popcorn and those veggie sticks - kids seem to snack on those things. What do you think of the appetizers, any other suggestions, I think I need something else a little "hearty"?

For beverages I'm a little stumped. I guess I should have some obligatory soda, but it all says high fructose corn syrup, etc. and diet is no better. Even some powdered lemonade and ice tea says "partially hydrogenated soybean oil" etc. I would have a way to make large batches ahead and keep it cold, so we'll have to rely on store bought ice. I can get some seltzers, and flavor some water with fresh fruit, but that might not satisfy most? For alcohol, we'll have beer and wine. What is the minimum types of hard liquor some folks might expect - gin for gin and tonic, and whiskey for something? I'm not much of a drinker, but some alcohol would be expected.

Thanks so much in advance. I like to have small groups over, but I don't like to host big parties - I don't feel "in control," and it just seems really overwhelming.

Comments (40)

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thought I should add that the party is for family and friends - more adults than kids, and the alcohol is obviously for the adults only, which won't be a problem.

• marcopolo5
    8 years ago

I hope you will have a few helpers you can count on. It hard to enjoy the party and visit with people if you are doing everything. Your menu sounds good. Maybe a non mayo pasta salad for any vegetarians? Ice cream would be a nightmare with July temps. Plus using a lot of freezer space. Hope the weather is really nice and not a worry.

• Related Discussions

Way OT but need help planning party for 50

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for all the advice. I wish I'd seen the comment about getting people to write a "memory" to be put into a book but I just started posting on Cooking looking for help and didn't come back here until now. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "potluck", my cousin's intention was originally to have the rest of the family (and very close friends) supply all the food since she had spent more than her budget on renting the hall, but it didn't work out that way. She ended up buying 2 hams, coffee, soda, and water as well. I made Chicken Marbella (10 lbs), about half was left but practically all the 10 lbs of roasted potatoes I made were eaten. One grand-daughter made 10 lbs of Shake and Bake chicken, almost all of that went, plus the 20 lbs of ham (about half eaten? Maybe 1 ham would have been enough) and the homemade rolls that her sister made (I didn't ask how many, but she must have been baking all day/for days). I *am* glad that we prepared the protein since there wasn't much kielbasa in the HUGE (18x13?) pan of sauerkraut (most left over), and the only other meat was a 9x13 pan of sausage and peppers. We also had to work with just heating things in the oven, since we weren't allowed to use Sterno and were told we could only plug in 1 coffee urn (or other appliance) at a time otherwise we'd trip the breaker, so most items had to be served at room temperature. There were lots of side dishes, and many (like a wonderful cold chicken and pasta salad, and the veggie/dip platter) were practically untouched. No desserts except cake and ice cream (unless you count the "salad" made with fruit, pudding and Cool Whip - though come to think of it, I think I did see a big plate of cookies in the kitchen earlier but it disappeared before I got done putting food away & washing utensils). Should have had more water, I don't know how much soda went, but all 24 8-oz bottles of water she had bought "for the kids", the gallon of iced tea, and 1.5 gals of lemonade did. Too bad she made 90 cups of coffee b/c I don't think we drank half of it. I was told there were 65 or so people coming, but I think 10 of them were kids, and there were only 40-odd adults since we had tables set for 72 and they weren't full. I spent most of the time in the kitchen so I didn't really get a chance to count heads LOL. My great-uncle had a good time, one of his grand-daughters had made up posters with family photos "100 years of Love" (wedding photos) "100 Years of Family" etc. (I didn't get a chance to look at them all) and there was also an album I'm going to have to go visit him to see since I was in the kitchen most of the time. One of his great-grandsons serenaded him (he's been performing in local theater since he was 5, his 13 now and has been accepted to local performing arts high school for the fall). He got a garden scooter (tractor seat, big mud tires and a 5-gal bucket in the back) in John Deere green and I had made him a carry-all bag to put his cordless phone, pen, notebook, etc. attached to his walker (too bad there's no place to hang it on the scooter - no handlebars). Maybe I'll make him a "man bag" to hang around his neck while he's on the scooter in case he wants to bring the phone and a notebook out in the garden - I have JD fabric. He can't wait to get out in the garden, though he can't bend over he likes to supervise his DD and her fiance LOL. This post was edited by ajsmama on Mon, Apr 8, 13 at 8:16
    ...See More

Need help with a birthday party

Q

Comments (2)
    I like the invitation blanks you can get to use at your own computer. I've seen them at Target, and I'm sure they are available lots of places, but I've only bought them at Kinko's, where they come 2 or 4 to a page, 25 pages to a pack, for $5.99. 25 envelopes are also $5.99. It is easy to make your own invitation on your computer (hint: make several copies of the blank to practice on until you are sure you have the alignment where you want it, and when you are ready to print, remember to set your printer to "best" quality). I have used these twice this spring already, and it is easy and fast. I also had several people comment on how pretty the invitations were, so I guess they are as nice as the kind from the stationer, but lots faster and MUCH cheaper. I don't know any quotes or poems about 60, but I don't think you need it. "Petunia and Cuthbert are 60!" ought to get the job done.
    ...See More

Party help needed --working with various diets

Q

Comments (8)
    Be careful with cracker and bread selections - there are a lot of them that contain peanut oil. Due to the nature of nut allergies - some people can have life-threatening reactions to just a minute amount - I have personally opted to eliminate all forms of peanuts and tree nuts (these are two different allergies) from my home. My son has multiple food allergies - we aren't sure about nuts as he has so far never encountered them - but his doctor has adviced us to keeep him clear of them until he is older. Anyway, recently I made a cheesecake with a pecan crust... Those pecans crumbled everywhere. Then I ran my food processor (which I had chopped the nuts in) and the cheesecake pan through the dishwasher and had little pieces of pecans stuck inside my son's drinking cups (the little non-spill valve). That is when I decided - for me - it was just easier to avoid nuts completely than to work around them and try to keep them clean and separate. To someone with severe nut allergies, even the residue oils from nuts can cause a life-threatening reaction. That said - Duckie's advice regarding 'hidden' allergens is excellent - if you decide to make something with nuts, make it obvious! And do keep all your cooking and serving utensils super clean. Lactose intolerant - they can generally take med prior to eating to control the majority of that problem. Processed foods are awful about having hidden milk protiens - especially deli meats, prepared meatballs, crackers, etc. (I cannot find a single ground meat product that my son can eat as they all have "natural flavors," "carmel coloring," etc. that can mean they contain a dairy product.) Vegetarian - depends on the type. Vegan means no dairy or eggs, which can be difficult to work around. However, if they are lacto-ovo vegetarian, that just means no meat so your cheese platter and dips are fine. I wouldn't go to the bother of doing ingredient list, but would perhaps make simple signs, like Almond Cookies, Beef and Pork Meatballs, Rum Cake, etc. - just enough to let people know in general what is in the food. If all else - do ask them. I would love it if someone asked me what my son could or could not eat, rather than them inviting us over for pizza and having nothing for him to eat! Also, if they ask if they can bring something, allow them to as they will likely bring something they can eat. (Rant: My FIL and his wife recently invited us over for supper... I kept offering to bring something - they kept refusing. Mind you, they know about my son's food allergies. Luckily, I did take food for him to eat. But do you realize how hard it is to keep a one year old out of pizza?! He didn't want the food we took him so the whole evening was a battle getting him to eat his 'safe' food and keeping him out of the pizza. Now we are invited over for a pizza party at Christmas time... I don't know what we will do.) Best wishes on your party. ~ Suzie
    ...See More

Need Help Planning a Party ... 20-40-60 Ideas

Q

Comments (14)
    I like foggyi's suggestions about stations at a community center or maybe a church since you aren't serving alcohol.Have 3 different cakes one at each station.One an anniversary cake, one 40 years on the job and a 60th birthday cake for your bride(loved that you still call her that after 20 years) Have the catering staff stand at each station serving your guests and replenishing the food. Have a videographer there to make a video of the night and a photographer taking picks at another station...kinda like prom pictures. Have a DJ there playing you and your bride's type of music. Let the DJ take requests and dance with your bride. Have the photographer take pics of the both of you cutting your anniversary cake, a pic of you cutting your work cake and then your bride cutting her birthday cake..Have 3 different flavored cakes like a white cake with butter cream icing, a german chocolate cake for your job, and maybe a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting for your wife's birthday cake. Request on the invitations that it is fancy party attire...or whatever you want.. But I still think foggi's idea of the stations is the best idea... .
    ...See More
  • tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

If you think some alcohol would be expected, I would say maybe an assortment of beer and some pitchers of Sangria. Mixing drinks would be too cumbersome for a large party. While soda may not float your boat, if others like it, I would consider having some for familiarity sake; I would include diet and regular. The flavored water would be a good counterpoint for those who do not enjoy soda. I think a fruit platter could be a good idea to round things out, cut up melon, grapes, strawberries, etc. The prep work for such is minimal and gives people a way of rounding things out should they not be salad people.

Another drink option I thought of is frescas. Fruit pureed with water, a little sweetener and perhaps a tad of lime juice. There are many recipes on the web. Good luck with the party!

• plllog
    8 years ago

Do you have a big drink dispenser "water jar"? If so, try Grainlady's Sassy Water from this water jar thread: http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2418093/water-jars It's very tasty and refreshing. I've done it by prepping the veg and steeping it with a half gallon of water overnight in the fridge, then putting it in the water jar first thing and add the rest of the water there on the serving table. You can make a block of ice in a plastic container and add that half an hour before company comes.

If you have any Mexican markets near you, you might be able to find Coke and other sodas made with cane sugar there. You can also get it in glass bottles shipped from Galco's Market in California. They have hundreds of favorites from regions all over and only sell sodas made with can sugar. For your company, however, I'd say either buy what's easy at the market and let the guests take their chances (HFCS won't kill you by the glass, only by the barrel--it's just sugar that's too sweet and easy), or serve the Sassy Water, homemade lemonade and home brewed iced tea. It all depends on how much work you're willing to do to avoid the bottled stuff. Plain water would be great too, but sometimes when people are hot, it's easier to get down more of it for hydration if there's some kind of flavor.

Same with the alcohol--if you like alcohol, serve it. If you don't, you don't have to. If any one misses it greatly, those are the people who shouldn't be drinking anyway. Beer and wine is certainly plenty. You're not a bar.

I think your menu sounds fine if you're sure there are no vegetarians coming. It's just a little light on vegetables. You know your crowd. Do you think they'd want more veg? You could do a big green salad with a lot of preprepped veg, or you could even buy it already made. If you don't think your crowd would go for that, never mind. Or you could do a pickle platter with sliced dill pickles, hearts of palm, baby corn, olives, cornichons, pickled onions, etc.

Whatever you do, keep the stress to a minimum, take as many shortcuts as you can, and have fun!

And congratulations to the graduate!

• lizbeth-gardener
    8 years ago

Sounds like a lot of food! No to the meatballs; I think the pulled pork and grinders should be plenty. I probably wouldn't bother with a green salad -it would be harder to eat standing and you already have the macaroni salad, cole slaw and potato salad. I would have a nice veggie tray and fruit tray.I might add a big pot of baked beans (could keep warm in a crock pot). I wouldn't worry about the HFCS in the drinks for one day. I would have regular bottled water & cans of soda (both diet & regular) and put in one of those colorful plastic tubs with bags of ice. I might also have some brewed ice tea-could do jars of sun tea. Beer and wine or sangria (as Tish suggested) should be enough if you are serving alcohol. I would also skip the watermelon because of the mess it is to serve and eat and disposing of the rinds. I think your fruit tray and cookies and cake will be plenty and no to the ice cream because of the work of dishing up and the messiness of it for 60 people. Just my thoughts, but when I have something like you are describing I try to make it simple and workable and hire or get friend volunteers to help serve, so I can enjoy the people/party. I like fewer dishes, but with enough quantity to replenish as needed. Congrats to the graduate and enjoy the party!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

I have done many many MANY big parties. many in my home for showers, cast parties and just general parties....and I have done over 56 big luncheons at church. ( no alcohol at them,,,obviously)
    You have too much choice on your menu. Your 18 pounds of pulled pork will make 60 sandwiches....I would skip the sub and make some chicken....and then have the sub place make potato salad 15 pounds...or about 2 gallons or 8 quarts if they sell it that way, for 60 people....the same for slaw....maybe a little less slaw like 10 pounds or about 6 quarts.
    If you have many many things on the menu, people will want some of everything....and you will have to make lots more of everything and have lots of leftovers.
    I would make some oven fried chicken to go along with the rest. Have 60 pieces....buy bags of frozen legs, thighs and wings. While they are still frozen, dip them in evaporated milk and roll in crushed and seasoned ( garlic salt, chili powder and lots of crushed dry parsley) corn flakes and put the chicken on a sheet pan and into a 375 oven for about 30 minutes while they are frozen. While they are cooking dip and crumb the rest.....they will cook faster. Serve them up as fast as they are cooked....have the pork in a big roaster.
    Spinach dip...sour cream, spinach....garlic salt...lots of parmesan cheese and some fresh lemon juice.
    You could also have some other dips....how about a roasted red pepper dip....sour cream, cream cheese and mayo...a couple of cloves of garlic put through a press and about half a jar of roasted red sweet peppers....put all into the Cuisinart. If you are wanting to make meatballs, make them small and put them on the appetizer table....and have bowls of stuff like pretzels and fishey crackers around.
    I think the assortment of cookies and bars is great.....ice cream is not needed and just additional mess.
    As for drinks, I would buy small bottles of water....I know!! Not a fan of bottled water, but at a party people like to have something in their hand....and will like the bottles of water. then I would make lemonade using real sugar and real lemons. make the sweetened lemon juice ( make it very sweet) ahead and just add water and ice. do the same with tea....make a very strong tea the night before and just add water and ice. You will need a big cooler full of ice and another with water bottles and maybe your large cheap plastic gallon pitchers filled with tea and lemonade....and beer unless you want to have an adult beverage place.
    The usual "stuff' is vodka and likely you can skip gin and a blended bourbon like Seagrams 7 and perhaps rum and some bottled fruit juice and club soda for a mix. As for wine, my experience is lots of white....and moscato is very popular...it's sweet so also have something like a chardonnay or pinot grigio for those who don't want as weet wine
    Enjoy....and remember to keep it simple or it will end up more like a pot luck than a planned party. And congratulations to the graduate!

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you so much for all the feedback! I'll skip the ice cream. I did mean to say I would not have a way to keep drinks cold overnight, but I guess iced tea and lemonade wouldn't have to be refrigerated, or I could make them that day - would like to try sun tea - I have "3" gallon size pitchers that for smaller parties I put 1 iced tea, 1 lemonade, 1 water - but that wouldn't go far at all for so many people. Will have to see about borrowing some large containers. I don't want to buy too many things since I don't really plan on more big parties. I agree about the help - I'll get the husband to step up (ha, ha?! lol), and maybe my sister and niece. Some people always seem to ask if there is anything they can do, so this time I would be more likely to take them up on it.

I had just thought of baked beans too - I might make some - my mom loves them and it seems to go with the other things. Lindac, (must add I'm so glad you're back - I'm mostly a lurker, but when I did have a question, you were always one of the first to respond, with good advice!) although I like the idea of the chicken, I would be way too stressed to be making that as the party is in full swing, but I will definitely save the recipe for another time - is it way better eaten right away, or could I make it ahead for a picnic dinner? If you think I should skip the sub, what could I make that is easier than the chicken? If I did lots of meatballs, then people could have the pork and/or meatballs on rolls, but then the sides don't quite "match" meatballs as well. Or a make ahead chicken dish? (I don't think chicken Marbella would work for the kids in this crowd) Honestly, I probably wouldn't have room for it, which is why I thought I had to buy some of the main course. Thanks for the spinach dip recipe, and the other one - both good ideas.

About the drinks, I hate it when there are cans and bottles all over and they all look alike, so lots get wasted - people can't find theirs and just grab another. I've always used the red solo cups set out with a permanent ink marker and people label their cups and keep the same one all day (like I said I'm usually in control :)). So I was thinking 2 liter bottles of soda, etc. if I must (I'll look into Mexican markets - thanks, but wouldn't get anything shipped), and the big water containers with the spigot they sell where the water bottles are - maybe filling 2 of those with lemonade and iced tea? I'll keep the alcohol suggestions from everyone in mind. Although I am not really a drinker, my husband's side of the family is Irish, and alcohol is always expected - and his sister asks for whiskey. No one ever goes overboard, "knock on wood."

Like folks said, I want to keep it simple, but I also want everyone to feel "nicely fed," if that makes sense, which is why I was looking for some direction - to find that balance. I do not believe there are any vegetarians in this crowd. I will skip the watermelon slices in favor of a simple, large fruit platter - which may include cut up watermelon, grapes strawberries. I will put all the suggestions into a document and read it again in case I missed anything. Thanks also for your congratulations everyone - that is so thoughtful. We will be empty nesters in the fall! We are so proud of our kids - our son has Aspergers, but he just successfully completed his first year of college, and you helped last year with his Eagle Scout ceremony preparations. Our daughter is in the top 10 of her class - our hearts are full!

• plllog
    8 years ago

Re the drinks, since you know it's wanted, one small bottle of whiskey should suffice. Make sure your sister-in-law gets hers. I keep scotch on the same principle: I have one guy who really wants scotch, another couple who will join him, when everyone else is happy with wine.

This isn't the time to start with sun tea--it needs to be pasteurized or something to be safe. Instead, you can make lemonade mix, like Linda said, with the lemon juice and sugar ahead of time, in a small container, and steep the tea similarly. Basically make concentrate. You can refrigerate or freeze those (or put them in an ice chest for a day or two), and then add your gallons of water on the early day of the party when you're not stressed. Water jars have been very popular so I'm sure you'll find people who have enough to lend you for the party.

Re the mains, it all depends on how much you want to work. I thought the grinders sounded like a great idea, especially if you have big guys with big appetites. I wasn't thinking about quantities yesterday, and I don't know how many servings the pulled pork will be. For a roast, a rule of thumb is 1/4-1/2 lb. of meat per person, depending on if there are bones in the meat, age and appetite of the crowd, method of preparation, number of choices, etc. If that holds for the pork, too, you already have 36-72 portions. How many servings per grinder? If it's a 6" wide or wider one, you can figure cutting it lengthwise down the middle, and 2-3" cuts across, which is another 48-72 servings. If it's 2-4" across, figure 1.5-2" slices all the way across, which would be 36-48 servings. I'm used to being a generous host and figure I want about ten servings left over to know that people really had as much as they wanted. My big hungry men can eat two to three portions, and some of the older ladies will split one portion.

If you'd rather made a barbecue adjacent flavored meatballs, or even better, chicken or turkey balls if that's something you regularly make (I have a couple of good poultry ball recipes, but it's never a good idea to scale up a new recipe for company), that's something that would freeze ahead well. Barbecue adjacent just means a different flavor than the pulled pork but that still goes with cole slaw. You could use adobo seasoning in the meat, or put your regular meatballs in a chili flavored sauce rather than marinara. Or you could cut a bunch of chicken up into sandwich meatball sized chunks and brown it well in a heavy skillet, then freeze it. Use a very different barbecue sauce than the pork has for the chicken, or a chili or red pepper sauce, or basic tomato sauce (from a can) with adobo or a packet of Mexican seasoning. People can make sandwiches or not as they please.

I think you have almost but not quite enough pork for 60 people unless they're mostly very light party eaters. Whether you get the grinder or make a second sandwich filler (meatballs or chicken), you'll have more than plenty. So to your initial question about appetizers, I don't think you need anything heartier if you're doing a second main besides the 18# of pork. The function of the appetizers is to keep people occupied before you serve the main, and to make sure the ravenous have something to chew.

If you have a chance, though, it would be nice if you could find a couple of gluten free rolls for your nephew. :)

I really think you're on the right track. Just remember to keep it easy. Leftover grinders should freeze well. Just pull out the lettuce and add new when you thaw. Leftover rolls freeze well. Since the meat has been frozen once, that's the thing to plan a casserole around for too tired to cook after the big party. The thing that always throws me off is the people whose whole family can't come (usually from fairly far) because one kid is sick. That happens only after the extra time spend making food for them, but you can't count on it happening because then everyone will make it and bring last minute can-Joey-bring-his-new-girlfriends. So I always plan what I can freeze and what I'll be making with leftovers, if a bunch of people don't show up, and I don't worry about it.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Thanks for the good words, Elba...glad to see so many familiar faces.
    I think you need something "poultry" rather than a sub. I have often made a "turkey BBQ" that I serve along side either sliced ham or pulled pork...Here's the recipe:

BBQ'd pork

(
    works well with turkey too)

One
    Large onion,. chopped

stalk celery, chopped

green pepper, chopped

1/2 cups broth ( I use boxed chicken broth)

cloves garlic, mashed ( I like more)

1 T
    salt ( less or to taste)

small bottle catsup ( or a bottle chili sauce) about 14 oz

2 T brown sugar

2 T
    vinegar

tsp allspice, powder

tsp dry mustard

tsp chili powder

1/2
    tsp tabasco

bay leaf

tsp paprika.

Cook
    about a 5 pound pork roast, or a 15 pound turkey until very tender. Cool and
    cut up, Simmer for about 3 hours with the sauce ingredients. Serve on a bun.

One 15 pound turkey yields about a gallon of cut up meat making about 40 sandwiches. I would cook 2 turkeys and cut up and shred the meat like you did for the pork, should serve 6 easily but if you are nervous....add a small turkey breast to your roaster when cooking the turkeys. Make the "sauce" ahead and simmer for half an hour....add your shredded meat and freeze....use quart bags for faster defrosting
    This has been very VERY popular when I have served it at a big party.
    And I love the idea of baked beans. I would do that instead of the pasta salad. Very good easy baked beans for a crowd that size is 3 food service sized cans of Bush's baked beans...two of "regular" one BBQ flavor, add 1 1/2 cups catsup and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, roast or simmer uncovered for 1/2 an hour.
    You will need to borrow 3 big Nesco roasters...one for the pork, one for the turkey and one for the beans>
    And...I didn't know your husband was Irish....better add a bottle of Scotch to the liquor mix!! LOL!
    You will get 9 good drinks out of a fifth of whiskey....figuring a 2 1/2 oz pour...That's 4 people having 2 drinks, and one for Aunt Mary. I would buy Consider that most of the men will have at least 2 drinks....figure your amounts accordingly....and know that nothing puts a damper on a party quite as much as running out of whiskey...unless it's running out of ice!
    And I agree about the 2 liter bottles of soda.....and don't stress about the high fructose stuff....this is a party not something you do every day. And frankly I would also use powdered lemonade>
    So.....you have on your serving table...plates, napkins and "silver ware", a basket of buns, 3 roasters, pork, turkey and beans.....a big container of slaw, and a smaller one of potato salad ( put it out half at a time so as to keep some cold) and a platter of raw veggies, and maybe a basket of chips. Remember to have a plate to put the dishing spoons on....not much worse that losing the spoon in the beans!
    Then you will have a "drinks station" where you have tubs of ice a stack of solo cups (and a marker) bottles of sodas pitchers of tea and lemonade and a spigot container of water.
    Then you have your dessert table....with an assortment of cookies and bars and a platter or bowl of fruit.
    And I would suggest in a different spot a bar table with more cups and a marker and your wine and beer in tubs of ice and your bottles of liquor on the table> You know your crowd, but this time of the year lots of people want vodka and tonic....so have limes and tonic and perhaps club soda.
    Sounds like a great party and remember the KISS principle....

Our church does a "social" as a fund raiser every summer. The last one was a month ago. We served BBQ pork and turkey in gravy on a bun, slaw, potato salad and beans......we regularly plan for 300....so I have had lots of experience with the numbers on the food for this kind of a meal.....this past year we were scarily close....almost nothing left over!!

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks again! I appreciate the lemonade & iced tea suggestions - if I'm stressed for time, I will go the powdered route, but great to know the preferred methods - had no idea about the need to pasteurize the tea.

A 6' grinder serves "42 hungry people" - I'll adjust food amounts based on final total.

"BBQ adjacent" - great idea! I think I may do that and perhaps skip the grinder for more of a homemade feel to the meal. Linda, would your recipe work with chicken instead of turkey, or does it taste better with turkey? Another thought I had was making a crockpot full of buffalo chicken dip and serving that on rolls instead of as an appetizer since it's always such a hit, and my daughter eats it like that sometimes. But the BBQ suggestion is healthier - doesn't have gobs of cream cheese in it. I do plan on getting gluten free rolls from a great little bakery. I'm great about using/freezing leftovers, but as you said, since the meats will already have been frozen, I will likely send any leftovers home that we can't use with older relatives who would really appreciate it. I'll go for the baked beans too.

My Nesco is 18 qts. I don't know anyone else that owns one. I think my large crock pot will be plenty big for the baked beans, as I know they will not be "universally" popular. I don't own any chafing dishes - maybe I'll have to get 1 big disposable one from a party store for the second meat dish. Oh my gosh, do you know me?! The whiskey is for Aunt Mary lol! I don't think it will a particular popular beverage - one bottle will have to do - I guess also with a big bottle of gin and vodka with whatever I need with it. I don't think a lot of people will go for the hard liquor, but I think I need to set out a few things - I really want to minimize money spent on alcohol.

Thanks for confirming the big bottles vs. small cans. I checked the ethnic section of the grocery store today and saw "Sumol" - carbonated orange, passion fruit or pineapple beverages - $2.29 for 1.5 liters - twice the cost of soda. I also thought about a table of mix and match juice and seltzers, but maybe most people really just want the soda?

I also think I'll need more potato salad than coleslaw - not everyone will be big on coleslaw, but most would take some potato salad. Thanks for helping me think this through!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

The BBQ recipe works fine with chicken....but turkey is cheaper....at least it was until this bird flu thing....but chicken will work fine.
    You can use a Styrofoam cooler to keep a roasting pan full of meat hot....they are cheap!!

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, thank you!

• grandmamary_ga
    8 years ago

We have done a graduation party for our granddaughter a couple of years ago. We made barbecue sliders. We bought the pork butts on sale and I think we had 3 of them. They were cooked in Nesco roasters. I have several of them. Her mother made potato salad, cole slaw and macaroni salad. We had chips and salsa. For drinks we had bottled water, ice tea, lemonade and sodas for those who wanted them. No alcohol was served We had several types of dessert. Food was on the dining room table inside the house and we had plenty of seating outside with tables available for those who needed one. It lasted from noon to 5. People could come when they wanted and stay as long as they wanted.

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks, sounds like a similar menu to what we are planning! The party is Aug 1st, and we just sent out the invites the beginning of this week, so we don't yet know exactly how many to expect, but my best guess is around 60. I'm so hoping for good weather and would like to have everything outside. (A few older relatives will likely remain indoors at the dining table, plus my dad needs to be hooked up to oxygen, but hopefully everything else will be outdoors.) We picked 3-7pm so the kids can do some swimming - we have a small above ground pool, and then the teens might also stay for s'mores around the firepit while the relatives and other friends head home. I regularly have small groups of people over, it's just this larger number has me really anxious.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Large groups are just "the family" for me so here's some unasked for advice. It might be worthwhile to have a prophylactic snaking of your pipes. Right around a big party people get more careless with what goes down the drain, more people are in the house and using the facilities, a lot more food prep is happening, etc. The worst thing is having the toilet back up during a big party. Sometimes it's because a little kid put down a whole roll of paper at once, which can't be prevented, but if it's a clog, or tree roots, or something that didn't back up under normal use, it can be a huge problem.

Designate a place for purses, wraps, etc., so that people won't be stashing them all over for others to trip on and be constantly moving. If you have a garment rack, that's great. A made bed in one of the bedrooms is fine. An office or workout room--a place you won't be using during the party also works fine. Make sure a lot of people know, so that as things get more busy, they'll great newcomers and tell them where to put their things.

Also have a space reserved for unexpected food offerings and be prepared to defend your kitchen from people who come in demanding serving pieces, fridge space, etc. Tell them to put their food in the designated space and you'll get to it when you're free. Make sure you have some containers and bags ready, perhaps out where the unexpected food gets set down, so that people can retrieve their dishes without bugging you, and you're ready to go with those leftovers you intend to send home with the elders.

There will be hostess gifts and gifts for the graduate, so you'll need a table/area for them. If there's a responsible tween or an elder who wants to help but really can't lift stuff and all, put that person in charge of the gift table, with post-its and a pen, and some tape. Often gifts, especially hostess gifts, don't have cards or tags! Putting a post-it on all of them, including the ones with cards (which inevitably fall out), makes for much less confusion when it comes time to write thank-you notes. The post-it can be moved to the box/item as it's unwrapped, as well.

Know what you're going to do if it rains. Maybe the coats shift from the office to your bedroom (you can put one of those blue vinyl utility tarps on the bed), and the food gets set up in the office. Do you have TV tables, floor pillows and the like? Make sure everyone knows that the furniture is for the elderly, heavily pregnant and injured. Since it'll be a press, make sure you have a safe place to seat your dad where people won't bash into his oxygen. You can also clear off your coffee table, and end tables of whatever usually sits there before the party, so people will have spots to set things. If they're fine wood, get a bunch of cork coasters (dozens! They're cheap) and strew them all around. Again, do that well before the party. Also strew around piles of cocktail napkins. Also have a place designated for wet/muddy shoes--maybe some trays with newspaper or something, and some big buckets for umbrellas. In other words, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

You're doing this absolutely right, facing the unknown head on. By thinking through the what-ifs and having plans, you'll find that the party itself is a breeze, and a lot of fun. Exhausting, but fun. :)

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks so much for your sound advice - I hadn't said it, but that's one of my big concerns - that many people coming in and out of the house to use the toilet! I know it will be exhausting - I hope you're right that it will be fun too! I've been a gardening maniac trying to get the yard looking nice, another reason I hope the weather is good, or no one will even notice!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Don't sweat the potty issues. People are not spending all day at your party, likely most won't use it all. And I sure wouldn't do anything like call rotorooter before hand!!
    It will be fine....just be prepared before, put out the food, smile pretty and enjoy!....when the guests are gone....tackle the clean up!!
    I never use paper plates, because I have many many china plates and "real" silverware. So I just stack the dishes and work on them a dishwasher load at a time. But it avoids all those trash bags and bins full of paper goods.....however I do use paper napkins and glasses,,,,but for stemmed wines.

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks. I was also thinking that - if it's only 4 hours, hopefully it won't get used that much. That's also part of the reason I listed an ending time - of course we won't kick everyone out at 7pm, but if it says 3-7pm, "eating and drinking all night" won't be expected. I noticed that at another grad party that was 4-8pm - those that were still around respectfully left around 8pm. It's funny all the thoughts that go through my head about this, but every time I read these posts, I think of something else. I am big on saving the environment, but I do not have dinner/silverware for 60 people, so we'll be going with paper goods. I was just thinking I should buy some of those short clear plastic wide mouth cups for the wine (I always have the red solo cups on hand).

• lindac92
    8 years ago

The short clear glasses are nicer, I think for wine.
    Years and years ago I realized what a considerable cost to a party paper goods are. I was....and am an auction and sale goes and realized that $10 spent on a dozen plain white plates would serve lots of people for minimum outlay, and have been collecting ever since. I now have about 50 plain white porcelain plates that cost $1.00 or less each. They have earned their keep many times over!
    And then there are the 2 dozen English pink ones....and the dozen white Bavarian with the gold rim......and....well let's just say I like dishes!!

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That's great! The storage in our house is terrible, and I don't want to regularly serve 50 people lol :). We have an annual church fair, and I know people who pick up some plates there to leave with someone when they donate a cake, etc, so they don't have to worry about getting their plate back. I tend to use paper goods if I have more than a dozen guests (which is my husband's side - he's one of 6.) I get them from Costco, so they last a long time.

Another thing I've been contemplating is that homemade mac and cheese is always a big hit, and would be loved more than macaroni salad. For my daughter's confirmation, I made it before church, then put it on low in a crock pot, and it was good to go when we got home. I don't know how I would manage a much larger amount, and if it would be worth the trouble. My friend is having a grad party for her son tomorrow, and she will be serving some for 40 guests, so I'll see what she does.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

I wouldn't add another dish...particularly one you will have to keep hot.
    Your party is from 3 to 7....and those who come at 3 are not going to be ready to dig in to a big meal....they will want munchies and maybe cookies. And some who come early may leave before eating the meat and potatoes. If you are going to add anything else, I would add some snack items or more cookies.
    Do you plan on having the hot dishes on the table at 3?

• plllog
    8 years ago

You don't need another hot dish for a hot day, and not serving everyone's favorite at every party makes them that much happier when you do serve it. :) Add that to the fact that someone else is making the macaroni salad, why add to your list of to-dos?

I like Linda's confidence about your plumbing, but you should judge that yourself based on its actual performance, like if it needs snaking every so often but hasn't been done recently, or if it's ever been overloaded by the smaller crowds you're used to. I can't count how many parties I've been to (at least more than I have fingers) where just before or during the party there have been backups. Another common problem is a faucet failure, but if it only drips, it will suffice and can be fixed later. If the valve goes, you have to shut off the water under the sink.

Re dishes, paper vs. thrift shop is also a calculus of how much water you have (I'm always inventing new ways of not dirtying a dish because we have severe drought and water restrictions) and how clumsy your guests are. China is heavy, and not so good for standing around, munching and schmoozing, plus even in the dishwasher it takes a goodly amount of water to wash up. Outside, you also have the issue of what happens if a dish gets dropped. Shattering china or glass makes shards that are nearly impossible to clear from bricks or pavers, and are impossible to clear from turf. I agree with Linda about how nice it is to have proper dishes, but it doesn't sound like the right choice for the kind of party you're planning. I'm with you on the paper and plastic. It's easier, but it's also safer.

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ok, thanks. I plan on having the appetizers/munchies out for the first hour - so that will be the snacks, as folks are just arriving, then setting out the main course around 4 or so. I will have lots of cookies set out with the cake for dessert - at least double batches of 3 kinds. I think everyone that does come will eat the main course. I was just thinking that homemade mac and cheese would go with the BBQ theme, especially if I have enough food confidence to skip the sub - the pulled pork, the turkey/chicken recipe, coleslaw, baked beans, potato salad, green salad because I always appreciate it - was thinking folks - especially the younger set would be more excited to see mac & cheese than macaroni salad. We went to a grad party last weekend that was all catered - an eclectic mix of food - and the teens really went for the mac & cheese.

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

plllog, I was typing as you posted - just saw it. "Knock on Wood," we've never had a problem or had to have it snaked, so I think we'll take our chances and hope for the best - I'll let you know if "told you so" is warranted after the fact! I do go with paper if it's more than 1 dishwasher full, as after a party I am tired! So paper it will be. Guess I'll skip the mac and cheese, didn't want to do it, it just sounded good :).

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    8 years ago

I think you have a great menu. All the do-aheads are very smart, especially the desert cookies.

Even veggies, fruit and melon can be cut the day before. Lacking fridge space is always trouble. Mac-n-cheese can be made ahead and frozen but you do have the full morning before...but not great having so many chores the day of.

I have a neighbor that has offered her oven and fridge space. It was handy for the cold salads and re-heating pies. All our meats are on the grill and get prime real estate in the center of our table and come off as the different items are done so no oven hogs. We had an annual 4th party for years and it always rained. So have a plan just in case. (just rained this past 4th but too busy to have the party)

We don't stock much alcohol but i agree some like it for parties. I keep it inside with an ice bucket and lemon slices and twists, olives and mixed nuts. Cheese straws if i think of it. Bourbon, scotch, gin, vodka and rum. I do buy small screw cap misc mixers and always surprised what some like but not my business....i just have some choices. (I so dis-like the leftover sodas)

Those that want mixed drinks find it and know what to do.

Beer, wine and misc soda outside in a cooler with ice.

I don't see a snack appy mentioned. Not necessary but something that can be plattered and maybe offered by your daughter and her friends to get them to mingle a bit with the elders, lol. I don't feel that old but teens think of us as old. Might be nice if they walked around a couple times with offerings the first hour and then again later with sweets. (stuffed cherry tomatoes, or mushrooms or something with puff pastry.) DH makes bruschetta on the grill, rubs with garlic and tops with my salsa. Our only early app.

I don't think anyone expects a big full meal and some will just nibble. Especially in all this heat. Teens and twenties eat allot...40's 50's and above not so much. Though you know your crowd best.

I also have plates and bowls for a hundred or more. But the small Costco 8inch paper are sturdy and fine for a summer outdoor party. A couple dozen real glass glasses inside with the alcoholies (i did not say alcoholics, lol...auto correct tried to correct me ten times.) i do like a nice martini once a year. But not in plastic. (hard liquor will start to react with some plastics...melt and leak), A small sleeve of plastic is a nice offer for wine. Some care, and some are fine with plastic. A few glasses is nice if someone is fussy.

I don't eat much at parties but i would and always will have a nice fat helping of anyones mac-n-cheese, : ) An indulgence everyone likes.

• lindac92
    8 years ago

In the 34 years that I have lived in this house, I have had easily 55 parties of 40 or more....always used real china....never had one beak.
    Well I take that back....one party where we had folding tables set up all over the yard. The party was over and I was cleaning up and had stacked a bunch of plates and cups and saucers on one table, Tied the dog's leash to the table leg ( what was I thinking!) while I went and picked the dishes up from another table....and she tried to follow me and pulled the table over. I broke 4 plates and a coffee cup. Also never have been to a party where the plumbing failed....but for one of mine, and that was a new dishwasher that had been installed improperly.
    I always think that whatever water I use to wash dishes is less harmful to the environment than using a trash barrel full of plasticized paper plates.
    You are right....kids are crazy for Mac and cheese. So depending on how many kids you are expecting, plan on at least 5 pounds of macaroni...plus the cheese etc. If you do decide to serve it have lots and cut back on the potato salad.
    And remember....enjoy the party and don't worry about cleaning all up immediately. Put the food away and the rest can wait!

And...just for kicks, keep track of how much you spend on throw away paper goods...plates, cups, napkins, one use foil pans, table cloths etc. And that's why I have a stack of picnic cloths I made in the top of a closet and stacks of plates in the basement and boxes of stemmed glasses hiding here and there.

• plllog
    8 years ago

Elba, no I told you so's will be coming from me! If you've never had an issue, the plumbing should be fine. It's definitely a use your own good judgment thing.

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks plllog :).

Sleevendog, thanks for the feedback! I would cut the fruit and veggies the day before, and you are right about the lack of fridg space, which is why I couldn't do all the sides if I wanted to. I invited the next door neighbors - I think they have a 2nd fridg in their garage. If they can come, I may ask to use some space.

My plan is to totally freak out if it rains lol. Seriously, we'd probably just use all the living spaces in the house - we do not have a large house, but have a somewhat open floor plan for living room, dining and kitchen areas, a "den" where a few more could sit and watch TV if any games are on, and a finished downstairs, small, where kids could play the WII, etc. Certainly couldn't seat everyone, though. I could borrow/rent a large tent, but that might not be too pleasant. Our garage would be impossible to clear out by then.

I do have to fine tune the snacks/appys - will have fruit and veggie platters with a couple dips and various "chips." If I do the BBQ turkey/chicken I'll pass on the buffalo chicken dip appy. I'll give it more thought - thanks for the suggestions.

I think most folks will expect a big, full meal, at least all the relatives coming a bit of a distance - 1-2 hrs. Wow - you have dinnerware for 100 or more - I'm amazed! Never heard of hard liquor melting plastic - that would be a site to see! If anyone asks for a real glass, I will certainly oblige. Sounds like a vote for the mac & cheese. I could make it that day. I'm going to see if my friend uses sternos at her son's grad party tomorrow, and if so, may borrow.

If all goes well, I may ask for help next year - I'll turn 50 and the thought crossed my mind to throw a big celebration with all the women who have been a part of my life over the years. If I can do this, I could do that too :).

Lindac, if you entertain that much there are bound to be stories of the good, the bad, and the ugly, right?! I was thinking that - more than 4# macaroni - that's a lot of cheese too! I use a spinoff of The Best Recipe stovetop version, and I have a large pot, but I don't think big enough to stir all that up. I guess I'll play that one by ear, as I don't have to order any food till a few days prior to the event. I already have the big boxes of forks, spoons, knives, plates, and solo cups from Costco, and got theme colored napkins and plastic tablecloths (I save if I can clean them and they don't get ripped) $1 per package. If I regularly had big parties I'd be more inclined to buy stuff, but I wouldn't have room to store it - I have to keep the Nesco in the garage!

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

If I don't do the sub and do the turkey/chicken BBQ, maybe I should have an antipasto type platter (one relative always has cheese and crackers and pepperoni that gets eaten as an appy) with the fruit and veggie platters and chips and dips to replace the buffalo chicken dip.

• moosemac
    8 years ago

Side note to the plumbing issue: If you are on well water make sure you have a back up generator on hand to run the well pump, no water no flush toilet. Summer is thunderstorm aka power outage season. Ask me how I know....LOL

• lindac92
    8 years ago

You don't have room to store all that stuff....cut veggies and fruits etc. Can you possibly order out the mac and cheese? You're going to make yourself crazy!
    Plan out your plan of attack....when you will make what and where you will store it. Then who will buy what and where you will store that....and how you will thaw and re-heat what needs to be reheated. Realize that it will take a LOOONG time to thaw a gallon of pulled pork or shredded turkey....and to be safe it should be defrosted in the refrigerator...or a picnic cooler and the temperature carefully monitored so it stays cool until it's ready to be heated. You don't want to give people food poisioning.
    Hard liquor won't melt any kind of plastic....it's not a solvent for anything like that.
    And take advantage of all the neighbor's refrigerator and oven space that you can....and don't over look the grill to heat things...or keep them warm....and use all the picnic coolers you can find.
    Yes...have a few stories...like the time I invited 2 people who used to be married, with their present spouses....figured out it was fine....but one man's new wife had a fit and spent 3 hours cowering by the front door lest she run into her husband's ex wife!
    And there was the sweet young thing who went upstairs and went to bed in my teenaged daughter's bed....and when daughter came home, we had to wake her so my daughter could go to bed, and the time that our pastor and his wife who invited to our new years Eve party, came after another party at 4 AM....because there were lights on and they knew we were up. And the time the dog drank the drippings from the keg and got so drunk she almost couldn't get up the steps into the house, or the time I bought cheap plastic watering cans to fill with flowers for table decorations....and a couple of them leaked...luckily that was an outside party....and the wedding shower where the groom had to be helped out the door. And the time I decided I could make pizza for 45 kids and had crusts and pepperoni and a vat of sauce....and grated 10 pounds of cheese by hand!!..Took me 3 days to clean the oven after that!

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thanks moosemac, we did get a generator after 3 years in a row of "the storm of the century." Of course we haven't lost power since :).

I know lindac, you are absolutely right, I don't have room to store all that. I might order the mac and cheese, thanks for saying it.

The pulled pork is in 3 of the gallon freezer bags in our downstairs freezer. I lost a pound after I shredded it all - quite a workout lol! I guess I have to take it out a day or two ahead. My son has a small dorm fridg he brought home - we could plug it in - it would help a little. Another good idea that the grill could warm things. I might try to borrow coolers - we only have 1 old, faded, hard sided one that isn't very big, but we really don't use it. We have a smaller soft sided one for an afternoon at the beach. I was thinking of telling my husband to go buy one nice new cooler - whatever he wants, to have on hand; just don't want to waste money or space on items for one party that lasts a few hours.

Wow, those are some stories!

• lindac92
    8 years ago

go buy a couple of those Styrofoam ones....cost a couple of $$ and will be good for all sorts of stuff...I keep one in my car, keeps ice cream cold on the way home from the store.

• elba1
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I might end up doing that. I do keep a few foldable soft sided coolers in the trunk with my recycle store bags to take shopping, but none of the soft side ones will take ice - they would leak.

• l pinkmountain
    8 years ago

FANTASTIC! Hope you will enjoy the leftovers! Glad to hear you survived! And kudos to you for all the yardwork and cooking. Doing both takes a lot of skills!

• plllog
    8 years ago

Congratulations! Having too much is far better than having too little, and having enough shade is the difference between a great time and an epic fail. You did great! Most importantly, it sounds like everyone had a good time, which, in the end, is what it's all about.

• cathyinpa
    8 years ago

So happy for you Elba! Not realizing this was an old thread, I started reading your first post with my wheels spinning 100 mph, thinking, "oh my goodness." So glad that I noticed the 37 comments and realized that I could scroll down and look at everyone's great responses:)

I know that you created wonderful memories for your daughter and your guests. Job well done!

Cathy in SWPA

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    8 years ago

For outdoor parties, people spend a lot of time planning food and drinks, a few things also are important to plan for:

1. Lots of sunscreen lotions for guests.

2. Lots of insect repellent. Mosquitoes enjoy outdoor parties.

3. Insect screens to cover food and drinks. Bees will dive into sweets. Flies can smell food miles away and they will invite their friends.

4. Don't count on weather. If you have a smallish house, a couple of rental tents can be very cheap.

dcarch

• amck2
    8 years ago

Congratulations! Glad to learn it all went well. Hope you can put your feet up and take a well-deserved break.

My DS & DIL married overseas and did not want a formal event venue reception here in the U.S. So we hosted a gathering similar to yours at our lake place for family to greet the couple during a visit after their wedding. It was five years ago but I still get exhausted just thinking about it. It was very gratifying, though, and a confidence builder to have pulled it off.