SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

Anne_ct and others: Best tick (and insect) repellents

Alisande
8 years ago

In the thread about Aetna-Humana, Anne recommended DEET for preventing tick bites. I do appreciate you sharing what works for you, Anne, and the CDC now likes DEET (they didn't used to), but I haven't dared use it. I tend to react to a lot of things, and would be wary of DEET especially now, with the neurological symptoms I got from a bite this year.

I bought a permethrin clothing spray that kills ticks, but then I found out it also kills cats, so that was the end of that.

Yesterday I saw a post on one of the Lyme boards talking about Consumer Reports' recommendations. It seems they tested two products that worked better than DEET and were much safer. From the CR website:

The top-performing products contained 20 percent picaridin and 30 percent oil of lemon eucalyptus. They kept mosquitoes and ticks away for at least 7 hours.

The two top-performing products are:

Sawyer Fisherman Formula

Repel Lemon-Eucalyptus

I might see if I can get a Lemon Eucalyptus essential oil, but the Repel product might be better and probably not more expensive. I've been using Rose Geranium oil and Lavender & Eucalyptus oils, all said to repel ticks, but they haven't lasted 7 hours.

Another problem we've had in my family is that we tend to work outside most of the day and then come in and shower around 6. That would be fine if we'd stay in the house afterwards, but we all find ourselves outdoors for brief periods, no longer protected by long clothing and insect repellants. We should be more careful about that.

Comments (25)