SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Schlumbergera and Rhipsalidopsis Growing/Mix Photos

ewwmayo
8 years ago

Been talking with Rina a little about Schlumbergera / Rhipsalidopsis in different growing mixes, so I've made a thread to share your photos here! Big thanks to her for saving me from putting my cacti in gritty mix (and recommending a perlite mix instead).

Yes yes, there many threads on Christmas/Thanksgiving cacti but they are all old! I know some of you out there have some more rare species too, so I'm just curious how they're all doing.

About a month ago, two of my coworkers gave me some Schlumbergera truncata cuttings (half rooted, half freshly cut). The rooted ones were in an extremely peaty soil, which I removed and replaced with around 60% perlite, 30% grit, and 10% C&S soil. Bark is very expensive here in Canada, so we're trying something different!

Today I visited our tailor, who I just found out had a very old and large Schlumbergera x buckleyi. I asked her for a cutting and she gave me a bagful! Here is a top down view of ~1/4 of the mother plant:

And here are the cuttings after I planted them in 50% perlite, 50% grit, and dash of C&S soil. Not sure if the ones with corking will root faster or slower, but there are many segments and branches, so I think it should take off quickly.

Would love to see your Christmas/Thanksgiving/Easter cacti and maybe even how you have kept them from overtaking an entire area as they grow! =)

Comments (38)