SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cricket5050

So many discussions to make

cricket5050
8 years ago

We are planning to retire at the end of next year and so many things will change in our life. We don't have the normal retirement issues such as living in our current house after retirement.

Here is the situation. We bought land last year in the area where we want to retire. Our plans are to build on the property but now we are having second thoughts. The area is located in a low cost of living state. I spoke to an architect and he said building would run about 160.00 per square foot. That is not the only expense. We would need to install a well, septic, have electricity brought into the property and have a long country road redone. All I see is dollars signs. We could buy a house in the same area for about $250,000 with about 2000 square feet.

We have saved enough money to retire but a difference of spending $200,000 more for a house seems crazy at a time when neither of us will be working.

We will be selling a business before retirement but the profit from the sell is questionable at this time. It might be plenty of money to make the decision to build easier. However, at this time it is an unknown.

I don't want to be like some people who have a large portion of their retirement money in their house.

Logic tells me not to worry and let everything play out. However, we will be retiring early ( age 56 and 61), selling a business, moving to an area 6 hours away, building a house and then retirement. Oh, and wondering if the money will last. No pensions, just savings. I have been using financial retirement tools and determined we should have enough to age 95. You never know. Who would have predicted 2009 stock market drop and recession?

Last week we talked about buying a small house and traveling around the country.

With so much unknown these decisions are creeping into my head when I wake in the middle of the night.

Other than the obvious suggestion, of being patient, staying the course and waiting to see what happens, does anyone have some great advice regarding our situation?

Comments (9)

Sponsored