SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countmeout

Placement of new dormers, opinions appreciated!

countmeout
8 years ago

Hello!

We're planning on putting a new roof on our house this year and while we are at it we figured it would be a good time to add some dormers to increase the functionality of the house since we have a gambrel roof which causes an angled wall in a lot of the rooms

The main thing is the guest bath on the second floor. It's 5'6" wide and we're looking to add a dormer which would make the whole wall plumb so we would have some better options for the bathroom layout.

Since I think just one dormer in the middle of the roof would look a little silly we were planning on adding two more, one on either side, which would end up in the master bedroom and a guest bedroom. They wouldn't add much functional space but the windows will be bigger so that will be nice.

And we are also looking to reconfigure our front porch area while we're at it to tie it in a little better.

I'm attaching a few pictures. One of the house as it looks currently, a front elevation we had drawn up and also the second floor plan. It's hard to get everything perfectly even due to where the bathroom is and the chimney. Right now the middle dormer is centered over the front door. I'm just looking for some feedback on the placement of the dormers. Also the placements of the posts for the porch. I can see how they are lined up with the dormers but I think they might look better evenly spaced out? I'm not sure.

Any feedback is appreciated!

(Also this is my first post so I hope everything works ok!)

Comments (3)