SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pugm0ther

Some advice on my new compost bin

pugm0ther
8 years ago

This is my new compost bin. I'm very proud of it! I found the directions on a King County Kentucky website. We used oak instead of cedar (yes, I know it will rot easily but I didn't want to use treated lumber & cedar was too expensive). It has four sides and no bottom. It was affordable and easy to make.

The only location for this bin is an area where I have a lot of tree roots. in the past when I've just had a compost pile on the ground, the roots grew up and into the pile to a point where it was difficult to "harvest" the compost; the roots were so tangled throughout the pile.

I am considering putting this new bin on a slab of concrete driveway that's very close to a flower bed. I know earthworms will still be able to get into the bin because they are already living under clay pots and bricks that overwintered on the slab. I don't mind that the concrete may become discolored.

Is there any danger to putting the bin on the concrete slab (i.e., in terms of leaching from the concrete, etc.?) I don't grow a lot of vegetables, but I do intend to use the compost on some tomatoes, peppers, and squash next year.

Thanks!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!