SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vjeko_gw

Would appreciate some advice to save cherry tree

8 years ago

I had a number of fruit trees (2 sour cherries, 3 cherries , 1 fig, 4pomegranates and 2 apricots) planted around the house.

For background - for about 5 years I had been trying to improve the soil all around the house with manure, a little fertilizer, compost and in the vegetable garden I even burried branches of trees) as the soil test showed lack of bio/compost . A few times I collected and shredded reed stalks for mulch. A few times I got some wood shavings from a carpenter also for mulch.

From last year things seem to have started going wrong in the garden. On one side of the house one of two small sour cherries that a friend gave me (both probably sprouted from seeds) just dried up. This year, no leaves grew on the second sour cherry and on one apricot. On the other apricot, the leaves were very small. The fig which was in the vegetable garden area started getting cracks between branches and the trunk and dried up. It was about 4 years old and when I tried pulling it out by hand, I just twisted it and it came out as if it had no roots.

Now to the cherry tree - it is on the other side of the house. It is the oldest of the 3 you see (one in front and one behind it). I had an agricultural engineer have a look at it and he didn't know what was wrong. I had tried watering it(maybe 50l) and feeding it with compost but no

effect. Any ideas ?

Comments (7)