SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Would really appreciate some advice re: hardwood selection

avesmor
14 years ago

Building a house and seriously considering going with hickory floors AND cabinets. The alternatives include some combination of knotty alder for cabinets, and/or white oak for flooring (though I'm not crazy about oak's grain).

The hardwood would run the entire entry floor including the kitchen, which also has a 4x5 wood island, but the cabs and floor (and mantle shelf) are the only areas that won't be painted. All other flooring is carpet/tile.

Would a different shade of stain on floors & cabs be enough to prevent "wall of wood"?

Alternately we could paint the island... probably the trim color, though it would be a shame!

Would some kitchen/dining rugs be sufficient visual breaks?

I know hickory is busy. I gravitate toward solid color window treatments and furniture, so hopefully that would cut down on variation overload. Our granite will likely be Giallo Ornamental, so not too patterny, and our wall color something in the neutral family. Blacksplash would likely be something very neutral with only slight variations - something like travertine. In other words, the floor will probably be my only "pattern". :)

I've attached a picture to show the flooring area.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County