SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kim_wa

New Aonium, complete with free mealy bugs. Halp!

Kim
8 years ago

I gave into an impulse while buying crickets at the local feed/garden/pet/too many of the things I want store and couldn't resist picking up a tattered looking Aonium. I asked the sales girl about it, she suggested asking the manager to help inspect it. The manager was very dismissive, borderline rude actually, brushed it off as employees not watering (pot is saturated, and it is potting soil). I wanted it, because oooh lala, succulents on a stick! I brought it home and started pruning off the dead bits, to discover my initial concerns where valid and it was crawling with mealies. I swabbed them into oblivion with q-tips drenched in rubbing alcohol and it remains banished on the back porch.

So, now what? I also picked up rooted cuttings of wandering jew and coleus (My name is Kim and I have a problem. I am addicted to houseplants) that are also in exile on the back porch. No signs of the swine on them, at least not yet.

I would like to avoid buying pesticides right now, because $$ and $$ I would have to give to the Mealy Bug Emporium. If I must I will, partly tempted to bring it back, but succulents on a stick!

Also, anyone know what kind of Aonium ot is? Will get better pictures in the morning.

And as long as I can defeat the vermin and resist the impulse to throw this through a certain establishments window, will be asking pruning tips on this thread too. Will get nicer pictures for that. Thanks as always guys!

Comments (35)