SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slyefox

Red maple suddenly died?

slyefox
8 years ago

I went out of town for 4 days for work and came home to find my beautiful red maple had suddenly and systemically died. It was only planted two years ago and has appeared healthy and growing for the past two years. It did not show any signs of stress, had fully and beautifully leafed in, and had just put out a healthy set of "propeller" seeds. It did not have any discolored or unhealthy leaves, did not have any branches die, and seemed perfectly happy. Four days later every leaf on the tree has wilted, curled up, dried up, and died uniformly all over the entire tree - every single leaf and propeller seed. I inspected the base and found that the bark was split up about 2-3 inches from the base and loose (was not like this a week ago). I pulled that bark back to see if there was any indication of what was causing it and found that the layer underneath the bark (phloem??) was misshapen in places and even appeared missing in some (see pictures). Can anyone tell me what happened to my tree? I want to replace it soon but need to know if there is a disease in the soil in that area first so it doesn't happen again. Thank you tree people!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County