SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windymess

Roundup? Really?

Ok, I'm really intrigued by something Ken wrote to another hostaphile: that she should use Roundup to kill an area of grass, so that it can be turned into prime hosta territory.

I have a fairly large corner of the yard, covered in grass, that I plan to dig up and turn into garden space. Right now there are things planted along what will be the borders of this area: a big old maple tree (I know they're water-hogs, but in this case it won't be a problem because the whole area is extremely moist - being the lowest part of the property - no standing water though), a river birch (planted on purpose to help with the moisture), a few shrubs - viburnum and winterberry (also moisture-lovers). My thought was to remove the sod and apply mulch and a flagstone walkway this fall, then plant in the spring with some hostas, and a few other things.

So - are you saying I could save my DH and DS all that work by using Roundup? But then what to do about the dead grass? Remove it? Turn it over, cover with mulch and let it sit overwinter? Will that be just as much work as if they rented the sod-stripper (that's the current plan) or not so much?

Thanks!

Comments (27)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH