SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natureinspiredm_6b

First time growing amaryllis: help clear some doubts

Hi all the expert-amaryllis-growers,

You guys are so experienced that I feel like a dumb to ask these basic questions. Yet I need to ask as even after going through all the materials I could find on internet I'm not really sure of a few things.

I've been saving my amaryllis since December and do not want to kill it after coming this far.

I bought a hybrid red amaryllis from my local grocery store last December. It had two budding stems (the stems never grew taller than a foot) and flowered beautifully. I followed the basic care steps and cut the stocks back after it was done blooming and placed on my SE facing windowsill where it received atleast 6 hours of direct sun. The plant is healthy and set out many leaves. 3 days ago I placed it outside as the night temperature is finally consistently above 60 degrees. The plant is loving the outdoor humidity it seems.

Now I'm a bit clueless about the next steps. As I understand the amaryllis needs a period of dormancy before it starts blooming again. I live in northern NJ (close to Manhattan) where the weather starts cooling down starting somewhere in September.

My first question is how and when do I send it to dormancy? Also how long should the bulb be dormant and what is the temperature to be maintained during that time?

Secondly I live in an apartment and don't have access to any unheated basement or garage to store the bulb (which seems to be the ideal location for storing the bulb in North). Can I keep it in my SE facing balcony while dormant (I'm thinking of putting it in a small container inside a big one with some kind of packing between the walls to make it insulated)?

Finally what is the lowest night time temperature that the bulb can take?

This plant has done beautifully so far. And the gorgeous big red flowers it produced were simply breathtaking for me (never saw an amaryllis before). I do not want to lose it. Attaching a picture of my plant that I clicked today.

Your advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions