SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jetrash

Please help with kitchen layout

Saida Rashid
8 years ago

I've been going nutty trying to design my perfect kitchen and after some awesome help from a previous thread I have 2 possible layouts drawn out. One of them is a better layout than the other. There is no doubt about it. My husband prefers that layout. I also like it. However... :) I homeschool 2 of my 4 kids and we have a computer room/homeschool office right beside the kitchen. The plan with the better layout requires the kids and myself to access this room via the hallway which is around the corner from the kitchen. I know that it's not far, but I also know that the room won't get used very much because my kids are young (6 and 8) and they want to be able to see me while they work on their school lessons. If I go with this plan I'd love to know if there are any glaring problems with it. A couple of things I haven't figured out:

- where to place the trash pull-out? I've labelled the two possible options I think are best. Would love to know what you think?

- I'm also wondering if I should keep the fridge and freezer beside each other rather than one at each end of the wall.

Just to clarify, there is a window above the farmhouse sink in plan 1. Plan one is the first picture.

If I go with plan number 2, I have access to the computer room via the kitchen. This allows the kids to use that room for school while I get stuff done in the kitchen. I can also answer questions (which are frequent) without having to leave the kitchen and go around the corner. Either way the room will have a 2-3 ft barn door. I also happen to think that the barn door will look really good in the kitchen - more so than in the hallway. The computer room is fairly large: about 7 x 9 ft.

The problem with plan 2 is that the freezer doesn't fit in the kitchen so it's in the pantry - right beside the kitchen. It's not really a big deal. There also isn't that much storage because the barn door takes up a lot of space on the wall. I feel like it's not the best layout but it does mean that we will make more use of the computer room. The walk-in pantry is big (7.6ft by 6.9ft) so I can store things that don't fit in the kitchen in there.

If we go with plan number 1, the kids will likely spend most of their time on the island or in the adjacent breakfast/dining room for their school lessons. Maybe it's not such a big deal.

I think I may have just talked myself into the plan with the better layout! I'd love to hear your input and if there's any way to have the best of both worlds i.e. a good layout and still keep access to the computer room via the kitchen, please help me figure it out :)

I've included the layout of the house to help with orientation.

Sorry, it's such a long post!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES