SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cevamal

Who "rolls their own" soapstone wax?

cevamal
8 years ago

I bought counters from Alberene a couple of years ago and got several cans of their wax at the same time. I like it a lot more than mineral oil but not enough to pay roughly $5/oz when I can buy the components for a fifth of that.

(I don't begrudge them making money by doing the mixing themselves, it's just not a convenience I'm willing to pay for at this time. Plus I go through a lot more of it than they indicate. Their site says a can will last five years. I went through four cans in two!)

So for those who do make their own, what are your favorite ingredients and proportions?

Most blends seem to be a combination of two or more of: beeswax, bees' oil (same thing?), carnauba wax, mineral oil, olive oil, and walnut oil.

I'm leery of olive & walnut oil because of the possibility of them going rancid but somewhere I read that walnut oil won't in this application.

I'm probably going to start by buying some beeswax off of Amazon and melting it with mineral oil since that's a cheap and easy way to begin but I'm curious if others have experimented with it.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer