SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xvrickh

Rainier Tree?

James Watson
8 years ago

I moved into a house last year and the owners said they had a cherry tree in their back yard they recently planted (it's currently 8 feet tall), but did not mention the type. I believe it's rainier based on the fruit I see this year (see below).

The cherries are a little over half the size you would buy in stores, so they are still young. I bit into a cherry about the size and color below (on the left) expecting a sweet taste, but it was not pleasurable...

Since the flavor was no where near sweet (I later realized that the cherries are still growing and probably haven't stored up the sugars) is this a rainier tree? Are there "false" rainiers that produce similar cherries, but not as sweet? I looked at pictures of rainier cherries and they are in cascading bunches (click to see the picture I'm talking about). Is this only common in adult trees or if you're lucky to get one that produces well? What kind of netting do you recommend on getting to to save the tree from birds in later years? Thanks!

Comments (3)