SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ewwmayo

Getting Rid of Mealybugs, the Canadian Way.

ewwmayo
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Grah!! Found about 15 mealybugs on my Huernia Zebrina today hidden among its flowers and branches. Looked perfectly fine yesterday but was crawling today after leaving it outside all day on the roof. Found one on my F. Candida and one on my C. Gollum too, but none of my other plants which are kept in close proximity.

These are the Canadian tools that I have used to physically remove them:

Normally I have been using a set of dentistry picks to remove small rocks from plant crevices because I am picky like that, but I found they are perfect for stabbing and removing mealybugs in awkward places!

The q-tips and alcohol were used to swab up anything that looked like a nest.

After removing all the visible insect scourge, I sprayed the three plants with 70% Isopropyl alcohol.

Unfortunately, Bayer 3-in-1 seems unavailable around me in Canada, so hopefully the plants will be able to handle the alcohol spray. As long as the plants look undamaged, I plan to follow up spray if I find anymore crawlers. A normal spray bottle was used.

The only suitable Canadian things that seem easily to get locally are:

1. Schultz Houseplant and Garden Insect Spray (Pyrethins and Canola Oil)

2. Safer 3-in-1 Spray (Potassium Salts, Sulfur)

3. Scotts EcoSense Insecticidal Soap (Pyrethins, Potassium Salts)

4. Wilson 50% Malathion (Carbaryl, Folpet, Malathion - apparently bad for Crassulas!)

6. 70% Isopropyl Alcohol

This particular plant has been with me about 2 weeks, so I'm not sure if they came from the nursery or my rooftop. It wasn't repotted because I wanted to keep it flowering.

I excavated the peaty soil a bit in two spots, but didn't see any mealybugs around the roots, so hopefully it's just the foliar type.

In the meantime, I've moved these plants a little further away from my other succulents. Not sure how far they can travel, but hopefully my other plants will be safe!

(And hopefully your plants are safe too!)

Comments (25)