SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jentsu926

English ivy not dying, but not growing much either.

jentsu926
8 years ago

I thought English ivy was a low-maintenance houseplant and grew like crazy. Suddenly I realize that I am really a houseplant amateur.

About a month ago, I bought two small hanging baskets and created a mix of half Miracle Gro potting soil, half perlite, just to keep the weight down on the hooks I have, and to get lots of oxygen to the roots (or so I thought). I planted one English ivy 3" pot (technically, "Baltic ivy") that I bought from Lowe's in each. They hang in a west-facing window where they probably get 3 hours medium-to-bright light max.

Once they rooted, I used a grainy fertilizer (the blue shaker stuff) with a ratio of 19-6-12. Usually the recommendation for ivy is 20-20-20.

In this time, the ivy has only grown a few tiny leaves, but seems to have gotten a little extra height. I water both plants about once a week, even though the perlite ratio is high, because I have had root rot with plants before and am a little scared of killing them.

Any ideas? Is it my plant food? Or that crummy Miracle Gro soil? Or is this a normal thing for indoor ivy? Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor