SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
margomouse

Bombshell is not growing but not dying either?

11 years ago

Hello everyone. I have been following posts on this site for quite sometime- but just "officially" joined tonight. I have a question about my Bombshell hydrangea. I have had it for about 6 weeks, and I bought a couple of limelights at the same time. The bombshell is planted where it is about 40% morning sun- then more of dappled shade. I water it religiously, feel the soil to see how damp it is first- it always drinks the water quickly. The leaves are not wilting, not yellowing, but rather fading to a lighter color of green. There is essentially no new growth either. It has the same blooms as 6 weeks ago- 2 lime green ones and a white one. In contrast- the limelight that receives much more sun- and that I pruned to shape and water also- has an abundance of new leaves and growth!!! It has all kinds of new little buds and sprouts. Only thing I can think of is- maybe I didn't loosen up the ground enough before planting it. I added peat moss- used root conditioner- mulch- etc... I have treated it the same as my other 16 hydrangeas (ES, limelight, PeeGee) and they are all doing great :( Anyone have any suggestions? Am thinking about digging it up- breaking up the soil more, "massaging the roots" then replanting it in the ground- was thinking maybe it was kind of root bound in its container form before I planted it. Or should I just put it in a container? They don't get big anyway--- Well, I anxiously await your input and advice. I love the idea of having access to the brains of so many brilliant gardeners :-)

Comments (7)