SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_24200779

gypsum,cracked corn,alfalfa...@ strawchicago especially

User
8 years ago

I'm looking for ways to help my soil to improve. Here in Italy,I'm finding it difficult to find good organic fertilizers that are affordable (my garden is very, very big). On this forum, I see that Strawchicago, for example, has recommended using gypsum. Is this "gypsum" the same thing that they use as a construction material,as plaster? because I did find a product here, called "gesso ",and looking it up on Wikipedia, this is defined as CaSO42H2O (the 4 and the second 2 should be small numbers ,below the rest of the formula, but I can't do that with my keyboard),or calcium sulfate. Can I use this as a fertilizer?

Another question: I have been using alfalfa with great, great success; it's in the form of horse fodder,in clumps of chopped-up hay-like consistency,with molasses added. I'd like to go one further: how about using cracked corn fodder as well? I bet I could find that at my local store. I think that alfalfa is mostly high in nitrogen; would the corn add other elements? Of course I also use manure, and organic matter that I gather up (grass clippings,etc) but my soil is very poor ( it's never been cultivated ,badly eroded, etc; I've had to literally start from scratch) so I'm on the look-out for other goodies...

Comments (22)