SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dancercr

Possible stupid Dahlia question...

dancercr
8 years ago

As the title suggests, I may have a stupid question here...one of those "Isn't that common sense?" sort of things, but I'm still relatively new at gardening - so bear with me! :)

I'm in Canada in Zone 3. Last year I had 3 dahlia plants (that I LOVED) which did fairly well. I purchased them at a nursery when they were still fairly small, and they grew to be about 2 feet in diameter over the summer. After reading a bit online, I read that I could gently dig them up and store them in the basement over the winter. So I waited until 1 or 2 frosts and then dug them up - stems, leaves, everything. I put them in a bag, put that bag in another bag, tied it all up and left it in the basement all winter. Then a few weeks ago I brought them out of their hibernation. Pulled all the dead leaves off of them, shook the dust off, and let them sit for a few days in the open (but misted them occasionally just so the tubers didn't dry out). I then planted them back in the garden. Now our weather was up and down for a bit - but it seems to have regulated out now.

So here's my question - when I put them back in the ground, it wasn't just the tubers - it was the old plant stems attached to them as well. I expected that those stems would come back (like a perennial would). Today when I was puttering in the garden and checking on them, I noticed new growth coming out of the soil. So here are my questions: Is *that* what comes back? Should I just cut off the old stems and let the new growth come in? Won't that mean the plant will always be small - and that growing into the 'old' stems will never allow it to expand in size? I'm suddenly confused!

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus