SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phalanx_viridis

Branch rot? Here's how I saved it from spreading

phalanx_viridis
8 years ago

This forum has been indispensable in my plumeria growing experience and I want to give back by adding to the valuable info the members here have offered. So, a few pictures follow on my tactic of knocking out branch rot:

I have a JJ tong deng that I noticed was not coming out of dormancy this spring and upon closer inspection, one of three branches was squishy and the green on the tip was a black color. The other two branches and the main stem were still firm so I went to work trying to save the plant. I cut the rotting branch as low as I could without cutting into adjacent branches.

You can see the rotten branch below...the branch just came off and left the inner cambium layer still attached.

I noticed there was a small incision in the rotting branch, so that was likely the culprit, you can see it in the above pic.

This is what the wound looked like after cutting 4/18

So I started to clean the wound by irrigating it with a syringe of isopropyl alternating with H202. I let it dry for a day, then irrigated the wound again. The black tissue kept washing out and I irrigated until it looked clean. After watching it for a few weeks, I kept it in a warm shady location until I checked on it today.

It looks great and is even starting to flo for me!

And onward tong deng! flo baby, flo!

Comment