SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janiseh

Home flooded here in Tx - Are my appliances OK if they are working?

janiseh
8 years ago

We got about 5-6" of water in the home for extended period of time. All my appliances were exposed to 5-6 inches of flood water for 8 - 12 hours. Kenmore Pro Fridge ($6200 cost), Kenmore Pro Dishwasher, Kenmore Elite Dual fuel range, Gas/Electric, Maytag Washer and Dryer. They all appear to be working fine. Had an appliance tech out to check all but the fridge (he doesn't service fridges) to have him evaluate them and provide estimates for any servicing or necessary replacement of any electrical components located in the flooded zone that got submerged that should be addressed and claimed under my flood insurance. All kitchen appliances are about 5 yrs old and total cost well over 10K so concerned about how the flooding might affect their lifespan, future problems and if there might be safety concerns. All the tech did was charge me 220.00 to run them thru a cycle, listen, shine a flashlight underneath and say everything appears to be dry, they are working, so OK - no water damage. Of course it's dry 9 days after the flooding, and pro flood remediation dehumidifiers and circulating fans going 24/7. When he pulled the bottom panel off the dishwasher, the insulation behind the panel next to all the wiring under there was soaked with water, dripping wet, and he didn't think that was a problem because the wiring looked dry and it was working. When he took the panel off the dryer to clean the lint trap (paid him extra for that) noted the motor thingamagigy, is located about 1-2 inches off the floor so it's really likely this was at least partially submerged for a long period of time.

So any appliance experts out there have any comments or suggestions of anything I should do or check into before I tell NFIP my appliances are fine? No claim? Will be quite expensive to repair/replace down the road if 4 months from now something shorts out or stops working because it was submerged in water and too late to claim.

Comments (3)