SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy_dabbs

Newly planted River Birch trees dropping leaves

Christy Dabbs
8 years ago

I live in Oklahoma and have two large river birch trees that were planted by a Tree farm/nursery in Aug 2014. This spring only about 2/3 of the branches on each tree budded out with leaves. We placed 3 tree fertilizer spikes at the edge of the mulch for each tree. Over the month of May 2015 we received an unprecedented amount of rain upwards of about 18". The first week of June approximately half of the leaves on each tree turned yellow, then brown and dropped off. Our usual watering pattern year round has been a slow stream for 2hrs twice a week on each tree. We have red sandy and clay soil. I contacted the tree farm this week since they provide a one year guarantee and sent them pictures. They think it is a fertilizer issue. I was told to use granules instead of a spikes until the trees are in the ground for 5 years, fertilize once a month until September and water 3 times a week for 1hr.

Do any of you think this will solve the problem? We spent around $1600. for these trees and do not want to loose them nor do we want the tree farm to ride out their time on the guarantee.

Comments (14)