SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitterpatter94

Integrity WoodUltex Casement windows installed wrong on new build

pitterpatter94
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Hi,

I have relied on the windows forums recommendation for many of our decisions with the new build of our home. We have never had a home built before. And again need your help.

We purchased Marvin Integrity Wood-Ultex windows. The widows openings are large and were too big to ship mulled together so the general contractor and his framing crew mulled the windows together on site and installed them. We (my husband and I) never opened the windows. Our home has now been insulated and drywalled. When the drywall was done all the windows were swung open for the first time. This is when " I " saw the window sections had been mulled together with the swing/hinge not on the correct side of the window opening.

I contacted Marvin and the correction would involve pulling the windows out and doing a major rework of the window and it would be more advisable to buy new windows.

Our home that has been sided (Hardie Board), insulated : frame bays netted cellulose & foamed around windows and drywalled. Pulling out our windows is a sickening proposition. No too mention expensive. Our question to the window experts is this?

1) If this was your new home what would you have the general contractor do?

2) If you think you would live with this mistake because you worry the integrity of the walls interior/exterior would be affected do you still pay the GC his full fee?

I have attached the pictures of what we saw.

The first picture shows window sections on the top with the right window section switched with the two window section in the second picture.

Thank you for your help.

Comments (11)