SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Sunrise Sunset - 2 foot high world conquerer

Hi folks

I love the Easy Elegance roses, and I have all the Lim roses I can get my hands on (at least 20 different roses and 30 total Lim roses). Most of them are mannerly but fairly tall bushes, so I was glad to see Sunrise Sunset listed as no more than 2-3 feet high. Ah good, say I - let's tuck this one in a prominent sunny corner to hide the bare legs of my Illusion climber. Early in the first year, this seemed OK but later on I noticed a creeping habit. Aha, looks like some octopus arms - let's just tuck those back out of side to see if it'll put up a few laterals from these.

Here's year 1 of Sunrise Sunset, clearly scoping out the territory for future world dominance. Note the sneaky octopus arms stretching both left and right from the main bush.

Putting out laterals - holy Genghis Khan, Batman - did she ever put out laterals, and more arms, and more laterals. Notice the 6-year-old Illusion climber in the background of the photo above. It usually fills this arch and is by far the most notable thing in this corner. Here it is in a good year in June - notice Sunrise Sunset being mannerly at her feet two years ago. That's what I had envisioned all along.

Now fast forward to June 2015, after I spent all of 2014 tucking those long Sunrise Sunset arms out of the way into the base of the arch. I figured she can hide even more bare canes of Illusion at the base that way. Uh, be careful what you wish for. Try, just TRY to find the same large and healthy blooming Illusion under the world conquering Sunrise Sunset.

Frankly, I can only find one solitary Illusion bloom just barely visible on the arch at top left. The russet bloom above my shadow (making Sunrise Sunset look even more menacing to overpower my shadow, BTW) is a very brave 5-year-old Estelle. This whole display is gorgeous, and I'll trim back or otherwise subdue Genghis into some submission when it finishes its first bloom cycle. Assuming it does finish, of course - Lim roses have a lovely habit of never exactly being out of bloom. None of these canes are more than 2' high individually, they're just 10' or more LONG. I'm grateful I placed Sunrise Sunset near the arch so I could take the lazy way out and avoid moving her. I quite like the effect, but I have to make sure she doesn't smother the 4 or 5 roses she overshadows now.

Note to self and other Lim rose enthusiasts - be sure to check tag for the word "spreads", and take it seriously.

For anyone who wants to try Genghis Sunrise Sunset on your own, she was at our local Lowe's this year for a modest $15.

Cynthia

P.S. Do you think anyone would buy a rose actually named Genghis Khan? They name them after all kinds of other historical figures. That one would give me pause, though, with visions of full body armor needed...

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting