SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greasetrap_gw

Granite Seam with 90 degree angle

greasetrap
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

In our upcoming kitchen renovation, we'll be having a counter made of highly directional granite that runs around 3 wall surfaces. We were at the fabricators today for the layout, and it looks like there will be seams at both of the corners where the granite makes a 90 degree turn. I'm not quite sure why, but the fabricator said that a straight seam is preferable to a diagonal one (maybe because it's too difficult to match up the patterns?).

During the layout, I became a bit confused as we were moving between 2 slabs, but the fabricator said it would look like one big piece of stone when done. Once I got back home though, I started to doubt how it would look. Here are 3 seam possibilities that I tried (very badly) to sketch out:

In the first sketch, the pattern would match at the seam, but become perpendicular to the cabinets along the side walls. In the second sketch, the pattern would run parallel to the cabinets along all 3 walls, but wouldn't match at the seams. In my mind, neither would look great. The third sketch with the diagonal seam makes sense to me, but the fabricator said it wouldn't work.

Here's a picture of the granite (sorry it's sideways and doesn't show the color very well, but it does show the pattern):

Could anyone tell me how this is normally done, and possibly post pictures of a right angle corner?

Thanks for your help.

Comments (18)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional