SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bananastand

Can I fix this potato mistake?

8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I have never planted potatoes before, but this year got some new sunny garden space to work with, so I wanted to try it. I had some sprouting potatoes in the basement at around planting time, so did some searching and found this thread with information on how to plant them:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1413083/plant-potatoes-that-are-very-sprouted

Since then, I've read other threads here that tell me of two potential problems with my spuds: potential disease, and overcrowded plants from planting whole potatoes. The former, I guess I'm going to have to take my chances and keep my fingers crossed that my plants are disease-free. The latter, I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to correct for potential overcrowding.

Here is a photo of the plants coming up. It seems like only one of them has multiple shoots coming up:

So, my question is- can I do anything to mitigate my rookie mistake? Perhaps cut off some of the shoots and allow one to dominate? By the way, these are the small red potato variety.

Thanks for any insights.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting