SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nattydoll

Safe to plant vegetables near perennial bulb flowers?

nattydoll
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I'm planting bell peppers for the second time this year. Last time, I planted in a container, but it was too late so, while the plant looked lovely, the few peppers on the plant didn't get big enough bc of the cold NE autumn air.

This year, I started pepper earlier, and I want to transplant them outside soon. I want to do 2 peppers - 1 in a garden box in the middle of my lawn, and 1 by my front steps, as a companion for cherry tomatoes.

In the box, I want to plant a mix of iris, oriental lilies, and maybe gladiolus, foxglove, or columbine. Not too many of the plants, just 3 or 4 for color & variety. The box is 3 x 3 feet. I'd like to clump the taller flowers closer together and put a pepper plant in front, back, or to the side of them. The pepper makes pretty leaves, and it's supposed to be an heirloom with diff colored bell peppers. The box protects it from dogs n pests.

Would it be safe for eating?

I've read about which plants are beneficial companions for tomatoes and peppers, but will these be detrimental? I've read that bulbs can be poisonous to eat and cause abdominal pain. Will these mix with the fruiting plant?

I am going soon to pick out flowers - we've gotten so much rain and a chilly June, that I've been putting it off.

Comments (5)