SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bwv_988

A Difficult Choice: Kohler Mendota, Bellwether K-837 or Toto FBY1525?

Michael Chen
8 years ago

Hi, I'm trying to decide on a 5-foot cast iron bathtub for my bathroom remodeling. I've narrowed my choices down to Kohler Mendota (60x32), Kohler Bellwether K-837 (60x30) and Toto FBY1525 (60x32). I like the lines of Mendota and Toto. But Bellwether K-837 is two inches narrower and hence more suitable for a small bathroom such as mine. In addition, its height, at 14', is also 2-3 inches lower than the other two. I'm short (5'7"). So a lower height makes it less likely to misstep and fall.

However, I've seen a couple of complaints against the K-837 that it's too narrow. One commenter said he/she hated it, because it was so narrow. I wonder if it's that bad. I couldn't find the model (nor other two) in any showrooms in NYC. So I'll have to pick one sight unseen.

So here are questions.

1) Is K-837 so narrow that it bothers people? My current bathtub (from 1960's) is an American Standard 60x30. I don't feel the space is tight at all. But K-837 may just have narrow interior space.

2) Is a 16-17" height problematic for a short guy like me? If not, I am tempted to get the Mendota or Toto, even though they are wider and taller.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• enduring
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Usually people do like the deeper tubs for bathing. The size of Bellwether you are looking at is what I have. I didn't have the space for the 2" extra space, and I liked the clean lines of the Bellwether. I also only used that bathroom for an occasional bath. I used that bathroom mostly for bathing children so this height is better too even though my kids are grown there is a chance that this family farm house will see future generations, bathing kids :) I don't have a shower in this room. So, for bending over to bath kids and or pets, I like the shorter height. I love the clean lines too.

Regarding interior size, it is a bit longer than the other tubs I looked at which I liked. It is narrow, but I fit in it just fine. I'm 5'7", I weight about (don't tell anyone) 195lbs. Granted the wider bath would be nice but it works for me with the occasional bath that I take.

If you like the looks of the toto, get that. I don't think the extra height will be an issue at all unless you have mobility issues. Do put up a grab bar at the side (and at the back). This will take planning because there will need to be blocking installed between the studs, when the walls are open, the length of bar you will be installing. My side bar is 18" and the bar I put at the end is 24" and is used as the towel bar. I didn't want an actual towel bar in that location in case I should fall, I know I would grab it, and didn't want to pull it out of the wall. I think every thing in or near the tub should be rock soild.

I don't seem to be able to link my photobucket picture to this sight. Photobucket looks different too:(

Michael Chen thanked enduring
  • Michael Chen
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Enduring, great advice! I'd never thought of the grab bar. It sounds like a good feature to have. I don't have mobility problems. But I tripped once and hurt myself badly when stepping out of the shower, over my current bathtub which is a tad lower than 14" on the outside. So a grab bar would come handy on those rare occasions.

• enduring
    8 years ago

I was at my sons house visiting and while stepping out of their claw foot tub (inside of tub probably a good 6-8" above the floor) I lost my balance stepping to the floor. Of course you'll grab for anything in that moment of fear. I grabbed a cute decorative shelf full of cute antique apothecary bottles. The shelf and bottles went flying. Fortunately I did not. I felt bad about the damage.

• mojoro
    8 years ago

Michael, I am looking at the same bathtubs! What did you decide on? Do you like it? Thanks!

• monicakm_gw
    8 years ago

DH replaced his 30 year old 60x30 (15" high) enamel over steel tub with the cast iron Kohler Bellwether 60x30 (14"). He claims to love it. I think he's just not wanting to admit he made a mistake! It's narrow in the inside and that one inch in height makes a big (visual) difference...it's rinky dink! (To me) it looks very out of place in our expensive bathroom remodel, but, admittedly I do over analyze everything! Plus, the water depth to the overflow is only 9". It's 14" on my 19" tall tub. I DO have mobility issues and I'm short (5'3/4"). I MUCH prefer my 19" high Bain Ultra tub. Getting in and out of it is not a problem with the tub surround and handles on the tub it's self. Bending over it to clean the tub is less of a problem than bending over the 14" tub. In fact, with my back issues, I can't clean DH's tub. It's too low. I have more support with the taller tub...he cleans his own tub now. The issue of water splashing out is worse with a shorter tub. He weighs about 220. He (looks) too big in the tub. He says it's not a problem. It's 19 5/16" at the bottom of the basin (where you sit). and 21 3/16" at the top.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012