SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cone9

Sweet Cherries for NE Ohio

David Si
8 years ago

I am intereted in growing a couple sweet cherry trees in NE Ohio zip 44622 - zone 6a.

Are there some members in my zone who could offer some advice?

I would prefer dwarf trees I can cover with bird netting (and as I'm old and impatient would like them to start bearing yesterday). I have never grown cherries. I have grown two peach trees over the years. The first, at a different location, bore a lot of fruit every year. The second, at my current home, set a profuse amount of fruit every year but squirrels took every piece long before ripening. The cherry trees would be planted close to where the peach tree had been.

If squirrels are as fond of cherries I may(much to my disappointment) need to reconsider these trees and be content with grass. My wife, and the city officials, would quickly eradicate any decision I may make to eradicate the squirrels with a pellet gun.

Suggestions for varieties to consider would be apprieciated?? Blooming late enough to avoid our usual last frosts and perhaps ripening at slightly different times would be nice.

From my readings it appears that krymsk 5 is a good choice of rootstock for dwarf trees in my region. Would any other be better?

I have a lot of clay in my soil.

I enjoy the flavor and texture of Bing cherries.

Black Pearl (NY 8139 cultivar) sounds really interesting. Is anynone growing this? I can find no listings for appropriate trees that will cross-pollinate with Black Pearl - anyone know?

Thanks

Comments (4)