SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

HOA Says My Yard Looks Like Crap!

syntria
8 years ago

My HOA is right and I feel bad. This home was a rental property for 5 years before we bought it (only 10 years old property). Nearly all the lawns on my street are evenly green and have the same type of grass.

Me? Oh goodness. I used weed & feed about 4 times in the spring and it helped a little, now I have RoundUp (haven't used it yet) and Image Nutsedge selective herbicide. Round-Up I'm going to use in the cracks and the Nutsedge across the entire lawn but I'm a bit scared.

So far I've Identified Bluegrass, Torpedo Grass, Dandielions, some sort of clover and there are some others I've not found with a few quick google image searches I could use help with.

I like to wild-forage and I have 8-raised bed veggie gardens in the back. I don't plan to treat my backyard at all or at least only selectively and I really dislike using chemicals but I do want my yard to be up to par.

It's been two seeks since I last edged and it already looks like this!

So help identifying my weeds and treatment recommendations would be great. I think I'm the only one in my neighborehood who mows and weedeats their own lawn. I know both my neighbores pay someone $50 a month to treat for weeds. I enjoy taking care of my lawn, I just don't have all the knowledge to do it effectively yet. I am open to manually pulling weeds as well, and I have a bulb planter I suppose I can use to remove some of these larger weeds or should I just treat it with chemicals?

A low area I filled with soil and seeded fresh bermuda grass a few months back.

I'm starting to get dead-areas. Texas, was really wet now it's hot and dry. I was watering with a yard feeding solution a few weeks ago but I've stopped until I deal with the weeds.

Mean looking weed, I have several of these in the backyard and they get massive.

I'm heading outside now to go mow but wanted to take these photos before doing so to show the mature plants.

Help me, friends! D:

Comments (40)