SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
escolat

Please Help to identify this tree

escolat
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Finally(after 3 years & almost throwing it out) my tree is bearing fruit!( thanks to Foliage Pro!) Does it look like an orange or grapefruit tree? I'm so excited,I can't wait for the fruit to mature. Does it look like any particular variety? I thought it was an orange tree when purchased! . Should I wait to transplant while the fruit is developing? Is horticultural spray oil good for citrus… (scale)?Sorry about the side-ways pic…that's the only way it will post!

Comments (65)

• Francesco Delvillani
    8 years ago

Satsuma?

• LizinTx
    8 years ago

My cara cara tree was an accidental purchase. I bought it thinking it was a Washington navel tree, but then when it dropped one of the oranges, and I cut it open, I was confused by the red flesh! I started thinking maybe it was a grapefruit because they were a bit on the larger side but the taste was very sweet, berryish and seedless. Soon I discovered it was a cara cara tree, and I have never been happier to have received the wrong item! Whatever it is, enjoy!

escolat thanked LizinTx
  • Related Discussions

please help me identify this tree

Q

Comments (6)
    If you still have access to the tree, a species level ID might be possible. It would help to know where the tree was (country, etc). Google 'Dombeya key' (those two words, not the quotes), and at least a few different keys (instructions for ID) will show in the results.
    ...See More

Please help me identify this tree!

Q

Comments (11)
    For me it's announcing itself as invasive if it pops up outside of cultivation and it seems to be the start of a colony, rather than an isolated individual that happened to land in an unusual situation that is permitting it to develop - like the one Japanese honeysuckle I found growing at the bottom of a south-facing slope just above a local lake, with sheltering trees and shrubs all around. And that at the time had not grown beyond its little warm, moist niche. Otherwise, I figure if 5 can grow in an ecosystem, then probably 5000 can grow also - and may be on the way. Jacobson, Wild Plants of Greater Seattle - Second Edition (2008) uses multiple different designations for the different states of wildness that occur.
    ...See More

Can someone please help me identify this tree.

Q

Comments (2)
    I thought magnolia myself. I have started looking for them in the same way I look for poison ivy, due to the alleopathic properties and my conflicting chronic need for compost materials.
    ...See More

Can you please help me identify this tree or bush?

Q

Comments (8)
    Maybe the potted one isn't actually producing truly paired leaves, the way to check is to look real close. If it is Ulmus parvifolia that is a nice garden tree that is even used for bonsai. This species has been confused in cultivation with the comparatively mediocre U. pumila which I wouldn't plant myself.
    ...See More
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Now I am confused again! My leaves have the 'grapefruit fin'. Doesn't that say definitely not an orange? And Oro Blanco grapefruit are suppose to be sweet tasting since they are a hybrid. Please help me decide finally!

• Liam Coldwell (Zone 9a)
    8 years ago

I want to say a tangelo, but there's no "nub"

escolat thanked Liam Coldwell (Zone 9a)
    8 years ago

OK, I did some googling and found out it is POSSIBLE for some oranges to have that "fin"

• escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I thought it was an orange tree when I purchased it years ago…it just didn't bear any fruit for years. I forgot what it was and lost the plant label! I'm just thrilled to enjoy citrus up north. It makes winter indoor gardening so fun. Isn't September early for any citrus fruit to mature? It bloomed in late January.

• Audrey Apelbaum
    8 years ago

If you keep it indoors its possible for them to get confused about what time of year it is. The nursery trees sometimes have fruit at really wierd times from being in a greenhouse. I don't know what it is, but it doesn't look like a grapefruit to me. I'm not aware of a grapefruit with that color scheme. You pick them while green like that and they taste mostly like acid. Also, you found the fruit in June and it was ripe by september. I thought I read that grapefruit takes a little bit longer than that to mature, like at least 6 months or something.

escolat thanked Audrey Apelbaum
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I was hoping for an orange tree. The fruit actually formed in the winter, indoors. I really appreciate everyone's opinions.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    8 years ago

Looks more like an orange in the cut fruit. Aren't grapefruit rinds thicker?

But flavor should be obvious - whether orange or grapefruit!

Some oranges have winged petioles. Usually grapefruit's are more pronounced, although they vary. Oroblanco's leaves have very pronounced winged petioles.

escolat thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

When I tasted it, I thought it was a grape fruit. I will have to have someone else taste it. I think the rind is very thin for a grapefruit too. Thanks for the great clues!

• escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Just finished a 'taste test' with relatives! One person thought it was an orange, while another said it tasted like both an orange and grapefruit! So maybe it is a cross between an orange and grapefruit. They both thought it was delicious! So what ever it is…it is enjoyable!

• Reice
    8 years ago

I am betting it's an underripe orange, which may be why some people think it's grapefruit based on the taste. Whatever it is, glad it's good!

escolat thanked Reice
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Update: The fruit has continued to 'round out' from the oblong shape it had earlier. There is a faint orange coloring. I am finally convinced that I have some variety of sweet orange tree because even premature fruit has a pleasant taste…. I suppose my oranges will ripen in winter. I'm so enthused that I just ordered a cara cara orange to accompany my present one! And I live up north! Thank you all for your help!

• LizinTx
    8 years ago

You're going to love the cara cara. Mine were so juicy and full of flavor, nothing like the store bought ones. It was my new favorite until I tasted some minneolas. Talk about juicy and tangy/sweet!

escolat thanked LizinTx
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I ordered a cara cara after I read your post! Maybe a minneola will be next, I am officially addicted to citrus.

• LizinTx
    8 years ago

Haha, if you're anything like me, you'll soon have quite a collection. I have around 16 trees now, and have my sights on a couple more.

escolat thanked LizinTx
  • Francesco Delvillani
    8 years ago

Satsuma..

8 years ago

it doesnt have a nub, so an orange probably

8 years ago

So what is it? Oro Blanco?

• pip313
    8 years ago

Could be cocktail grapefruit?

escolat thanked pip313
    8 years ago

Hmmmmm

• escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's still up for debate, I thought it was a grapefruit, but most people said it would not be sweet at this stage. Do citrus ripen in November & December? And the rind is thin. I am patiently waiting to see how orange the fruit will turn. A cocktail grapefruit is a good guess! thanks

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

Not all of them. My Washington Navel doesn't sweeten up until around February. It's orange colored in Nov-Dec, but still sour.

escolat thanked BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
  • LizinTx
    8 years ago

My guess is some sort of seedless orange or satsuma. Cocktail grapefruit tends to be very seedy.

escolat thanked LizinTx
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It will be a thrill to harvest my fruit indoors during the height of the northern winter.

• uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    8 years ago

Definitely not a satsuma. My bet is cocktail grapefruit. The flesh color shown and sweetness described is just like my cocktails...

escolat thanked uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
  • uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
    8 years ago

Hmmm, as LizinTx said, Cocktails tend to be very seedy - all of mine are. I have to withdraw the Cocktail guess and move to a seedless orange choice - (assuming it continues and does turn orange).

Keep us posted as how the color and flavor develops over the next 2-3 months.... if it turns or stays yellow then it in the grapefruit family. All of my grapefruits go from green to yellow.... and the Red Blush when very ripe, to pink. ....but most all of them have seeds.

escolat thanked uncle molewacker z9b Danville CA (E.SF Bay)
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, it is December and the fruit continues to ripen. It looks 'orangey' to me! Now does it appear to be an orange or cocktail grapefruit? Thanks!

• hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
    8 years ago

Those are amazing! Looks definitely orangey to me but I will defer to the experts.

Are you in Canada if so your tree is especially inspiring! I'm in Sask and my trees are about two years away from that size.

escolat thanked hobbyartisan (Saskatoon, SK Canada, 2b)
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm in Ohio. ..which I find equally amazing,Thanks! I wonder how I will determine when they are fully ripe? Do indoor oranges( or whatever) turn solid orange when ripe or is ripeness based upon tenderness?

• pip313
    8 years ago

More like find out what it is, how long that variety takes, and start counting from fruit set. Then taste test.

so educated guess, because your indoors and don't have a climate you can base off of in reference to others trees.

escolat thanked pip313
  • poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

I too live in Ohio and I have found that mystery trees fall in one of 3 catagories.

1) Trees that produce fruits of great taste.

2) Trees that produce fruits of Yea it was free and home grown and edible.

3) Trees that produce fruit that suggest the tree should be killed or top grafted.

if you end up with excellent fruit then you have a good tree that is a keeper. There is a probability that no one will be able to identify it to a specific variety

Best of luck and remember Ohio is round on the ends an hi in the center.

escolat thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

One of the best places in the nation! Well, I'm lucky…the premature fruit actually tasted good! I'm almost sure that it is some kind of orange. Will know shortly!

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

In that 2nd to last photo it is starting to look extremely orange-like, will be following this post for the big reveal lol.

escolat thanked BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jan. pics are showing even more orange coloring! What is the best way to determine when the fruit is ready for picking?

Outside on the deck during the very mild December weather!

• escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Finally! I heard a loud 'thud' last night and discovered a ripen fruit had fallen! I will serve it later at dinner to survey what it is for the last time.But before we taste-test, what do you think it is?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

Delicious definitely delicious. Hands down

• BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
    8 years ago

Looks like an orange! Is there a navel on the bottom?

Post a pic when you cut it. If you cut it across horizontal to the top and bottom, ID will be easier I think.

Congrats!!

escolat thanked BarbJP 15-16/9B CA Bay Area
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Drum roll please…(clearing throat as the trumpets blare) Ladies and gentlemen, I hereby proclaim that my mysterious tree is a seedless grapefruit! The scent, texture and juiciness all point to this conclusion! Another fruit fell off the tree last night. I ate one half for breakfast! (Such a thrill since it is 2 below zero outside! A touch of Florida, indeed! ) Now, can anyone guess which variety of seedless grapefruit?

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    8 years ago

"Such a thrill since it is 2 below zero outside"

Where about do you live. My coldest this year around 10F do to my micro zone position

• escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Akron, OH…It can get brutal here!

• BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
    8 years ago

That's very interesting! I admit I was leaning towards grapefruit based on how the skin looks in that photo of it in your hand (looked more like grapefruit than an orange to me, but then again I eat a disproportionate amount of grapefruit....) so congrats! As to the variety, could be a lot of it being seedless hopefully narrows it down. It might be a Thompson Pink (which ironically isn't usually pink) or a Marsh Seedless?

escolat thanked BahamaDan Zone 12b Subtropics
  • escolat
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'll research those varieties you mentioned. I could not believe how delicious and juicy my grapefruit was chilled! It was sweet with a hint of tang! Amazingly good.

I have read about certain 'orangelo' hybrids( orange & grapefruit crosses)

Chironja Grapefruit Hybrid comes to mind…perhaps my tree could be one.

• escolat
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Update: I repotted my tree in a slightly larger pot. I didn't think it would bloom this year until today I spotted 3 small buds today! The tree does have scale…Is it safe to spray neem oil while the tree is flowering? What should I do?

(Please ignore the watermelon sculpture!) So excited to see flower buds.

• badfish8696
    7 years ago

That fruit sure looks like the Melogold grapefruit hybrid...

www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/melogold.html

escolat thanked badfish8696
  • escolat
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'd say they are an exact match! Thank you …mystery finally solved! Any advice on dealing with scale insects during the blooming period?

melogold

• TheyCallMeDave
    6 years ago

That's a very cool looking tree with the orange fruit hanging... Nice surprise being a Melogold too, I can't see too many people having that variety.

escolat thanked TheyCallMeDave
  • junk4us
    6 years ago

i want a cara cara now.

escolat thanked junk4us
  • johnmerr
    6 years ago

First time I tasted a Cara Cara, I didn't know what it was; but I knew I had to have it. Now I grow a few each year for gifts; and they usually make a few fruits the first year.

escolat thanked johnmerr