SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

What Do You Think About this David Austin Statement?

Our local Ace hardware is a gem. Fully stocked with higher-than-average product lines, and always trained, knowledgable personnel in every dept.

I don't know about other Ace's around the country, but our Ace only carries David Austin roses. I'm not a very talented rose grower - still a neophyte, but growing and learning. I started with a couple of David Austins in 2011, but 1. The deer like them the best, and 2. they were harder to keep looking nice, healthy and thriving than others. I moved on to other roses. After reading from time to time on here about them (and spending time in England observing their very different weather), I decided that my climate is part of the problem - hot, humid summers, lots of blackspot, disease and bugs. I began to think that they are a bit more "needy" than other roses.

So - last Saturday I stopped by the roses at Ace just to make sure I wasn't missing any changes. I happened to talk to the woman who runs the gardening section. She was chatty... She gave a lot of info about where DAs are grown in this country for nursery sales, how they do it, yadee, yadee. One thing she said in all that was that certain DAs are particularly grown for(?), suitable(?) recommended for(?) our area - Mid Atlantic, (central Maryland) - and it's climate. Implication being that those are the ones they sell, and do well here.

Do you think that is true.....? That certain DAs are specifically grown for my area, and thus I will have less problems with those choices than maybe the ones I started with (which I can't even remember now). Some of the ones they carry are Graham Thomas, Teasing Georgia (which someone had bought all 8 of), and I decided to buy a Charlotte, b/c I need a couple of yellow roses.

Long story! Thanks for reading.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting