SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alphatridata

growing crabapple suckers for fun + questions about rooting hormone

8 years ago

Hi all,

Lots of suckers (about 8" inches above soil) have sprouted around my 10 years old crabapple trees. I usually cut away suckers to prevent them from robbing nutrients. But for this summer, I wanted to experiment with them and see if they will grow into some baby crabapples.

I was digging one today and as it turned out, it's hard work! The woody part of it extended at least another 6 - 8inches into the soil. There was a mini root system - at least 10 little tiny roots (2cm in length). I dipped it in liquid rooting hormone (Plant-prod 5-15-5, the only thing I can find in my area) and potted it with moist soil. Then wrap the entire pot with a plastic bag with a couple air holes to give it some humidity to grow. full sun for leaves to photo.

Here's my questions:

1. Should I even cover suckers with mini root systems with plastic bags? or should I only use plastic bags with suckers without roots?

2. I kept the used diluted rooting hormone solution in a separate container. Realistically, can I re-use the solution for the same type of suckers for a week/month? Takes me forever to dig them up..... won't be digging/potting them all at once.... None of the suckers seem diseased, a few holes on the leaves maybe.

3. What are the cons of soaking the plants in liquid rooting hormone for too long? Mine says to soak plants for 30min, if I soak the suckers for let's say 2hours, would this kill the plants?

4. Full sun or shade?

5. Is this even the right time (mid-summer) to dig up/snip off suckers for potting?!

Tks!!

Comment

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor