SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smeep_gw

Persimmon cuttings started out strong, but now I need help!

8 years ago

Hi everyone,

Five weeks ago I took a bunch of persimmon cuttings, dipped them in rooting hormone, and stuck them in 12 oz. clear plastic cups filled with 50% ground peat moss and 50% vermiculite. The cups have a drain hole. I placed all the cups into a clear plastic tub with a lid and set the tub on a PC by a window, where it receives a decent amount of indirect light. A heating pad is under the tub, and sometimes I turn it on low for a few hours.

After a couple weeks, new leaves emerged on more than half of them! Then, a second set of leaves emerged. Several cuttings developed some patches of white mold fuzz; when this happened I'd rub it away and vent the tub for a few hours and the mold went away.

About a week ago, everything took a turn for the worse. Almost all the plants started dropping their leaves. Most of the leaves looked perfectly fine (not brown or dried-out) but a few of the leaves seemed to wilt first before they dropped.

Any idea what's going on? I can't tell if the growing mixture is too wet or too dry, if the air inside is too hot or not, if the humidity is too high – because I really don't know what I'm doing. At first, heavy condensation formed all over the inside of the tub, which worried me so I started venting the tub for a couple hours a day to dry it out. Then I worried that I had made it too dry.

Should I pull some of the better-looking cuttings to see if roots have appeared, or should they be left undisturbed?

If anyone has some advice or tips for saving these cuttings, I would love to hear it! The original persimmon tree was my grandmother's; when she passed away I took the cuttings just before the house was lost. Trying to keep that amazing tree in the family, so to speak.

Thank you!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville