SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaethyshouse

Blown in VS roll insulation

kaethyshouse
8 years ago

I'm planning on remodeling my kitchen. The kitchen is cold compared to the rest of the house in winter. When I get up in the morning it's 5 or 6 degrees colder. And that's with an open 40" doorway to the dining room. So I figured the remodel should include adding wall insulation on the 2 exterior walls.

Had a couple of remodeling companies come out. First one said no problem, they would be able to remove the walls and add insulation. Two others said they would have someone come and do blown insulation, one saying from the outside.

So if the best way to do this is blown in, I should get that done separately rather than include it in the kitchen job.

Which would be better? Having the kitchen remodeler do roll insulation or blown in from the outside?

Also, I have no idea why it's so much colder in there. Been in the house since 1977 and don't recall there being such a difference in temp in the past. It's a ranch built in 1949, with old aluminum siding. Yes, I know I could do new siding and exterior insulation, but too many other things need to be done before that.

The heat vent is working, although the grate area is small. I had foam insulation added to the sill between the top of the basement wall and the house, thought that would help more than it has.

Any ideas as to what else I could do or what the problem is?

Comments (4)