SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
designsaavy

My Barker Cabinets are here!!!

designsaavy
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

No, pretty pictures to post. It'll be a while. Still gotta go through everything to make sure everything's here.

But here's all the stuff spread around.

And a pic of one of the 36" drawers and the nice dove tail joinery.

And the double trash pullout drawer.

Like I said, no pretty drawer fronts to show yet. But, still so excited it's here. It was intimidating at first, but once we got it all out, everything started to make sense and fall into place.

More to come....

Comments (136)

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

We are not diying any of this. I did tell our gc I wanted them horizontal. He said sure and that this was only the second time anyone had asked for that. The range wall will have horizontal white subway tile so I think the horizontal will look better--thanks to GW for the idea.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Yeah, I would like it that way as well. My dh is pretty handy, but not sure if it can be done now after install.

• Related Discussions

Need Kitchen/Cabinet Layout Ideas for Barker Cabinets

Q

Comments (11)
    Thank you for taking a look. I have included my entire plan. To answer your questions: First, do you have a fully measured layout of the Kitchen and Dining space for us to see? One that has each door/doorway/window/wall measured and labeled as well as the distances b/w each door/doorway/window/wall? From what I think I see, your architect may be right - and not just the issue with blocking the doorway, I don't know if you have room b/w the island and table. (It would be helpful if you had the same for the Living Room area as well.) **I don't have complete information. I need to measure. Ceiling to Floor height is 12'. ** What can/cannot be changed? Can rooms be switched? Can doors be moved? Walls? You appear to have a very large Living Room... **Rooms can switch. The idea was an open living/dining/kitchen area. We live in the city, so the space is not large. The space where the bedrooms start can not be changed** How high off the floor are the windows in the Dining Room? ** 3 feet, i believe** Is that a banquette in your Dining Room area? **built-in cabinetry, but we decided to do a kitchen table instead** Where does the doorway to the left lead to? Bedrooms only? **bedrooms and bathrooms** Where is the main entry - on the bottom? **see plan? What's on the far right in what appears to be an alcove of some sort? (to the right of the Living Room) What is your family composition (general - e.g., kids' age range, # of adults, etc.) ** I have one toddler, who is screaming my name right now! 21 months. I'm hoping to have a second. What are your plans for the space? Do you entertain a lot? Large groups? Small groups? **we do not entertain a lot. it will mostly be a family area.
    ...See More

Barker Cabinets to Resolve Bathroom Tower Problem?

Q

Comments (14)
    jmarino - Good to hear they're easy to assemble and install, as I'm the assembler and installer! mayflowers - I tried Scherr's and Conestoga. Both have a minimum # of cabinets. I'll search for Barker threads. Sophie Wheeler - Well, sometimes we have to compromise. Plenty big for a medicine cabinet to hold daily hygiene items and have an internal electrical outlet! It's to replace one of those even smaller, recessed medicine cabinets squished into the corner on one side of the vanity. The bathroom has a 5'x4' linen closet, a double vanity and room for a free-standing cabinet should even more storage be needed.
    ...See More

Kitchen Makeover - Barker Cabinets, Silestone Lagoon, H-Line tile

Q

Comments (22)
    Wow it looks beautiful! I'm considering ordering RTA doors as well rather than having my current doors (also partial overlay) painted. Did you have the boxes professionally painted and was there an issue trying to match the pre-painted doors from barkers? Thanks so much and great job again!
    ...See More

Can I hire someone to help me place my Barker Cabinet order?

Q

Comments (12)
    This isn't to be rude...but more educational: It's funny how people not in the business don't realize the complexities of kitchen ordering....and the time required to write up a clean, perfect order. . Yes, some orders are easy and just require the basics. But today, most kitchens are more complex (or customized) and go floor to ceiling. Expectations are so much higher. Every little detail must be spelled out. Knowledge of how things fit and clearances all go hand in hand with a kitchen order. Also, the box construction and overlay will determine how you order the cabinets. My order of a frameless kitchen will be completely different from an inset kitchen. Many times people are shocked when I tell them in can take me anywhere from 1-3 days to get an order faxed in. Things you have to check: hinging, finished ends, corner clearances, appliances specs, hardware fit or interference, ceiling heights and crown molding design, unlevel floors and ceilings....I could go on and on. Some orders require me to hand-draw a custom cabinet for the factory. And once you get it faxed in....then you wait for the acknowledgement and you have to check it and double check it again! THEN it goes in to production. My clients think they'll get the cabinets 6 wks from when they hand me the deposit. It doesn't work that way. Figure in another week for ordering write up, factory time in processing the order and time for me to double check everything again. Have said all of that, I'm sure there are some freelance KD's out there that could help you out. Maybe Barkers has a list? Do you expect them to take on any fit responsibility to your house? If yes, I would pass. Like Greendesigns said....$300 isn't worth the liability.
    ...See More
  • Kimberly N
    8 years ago

So far our drawer boxes look square and the couple of doors I've unpacked are insanely gorgeous.

But man, I wish the delivery truck could have navigated our tenth of a mile driveway. Moving 700 lbs into a vehicle, out of a vehicle and into the house was quite a task today for my husband and I with a little help from our sixth grader. 90 degrees and humid is fairly seasonable for this time of year here, but whew.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

That had to be no fun. Yes, it's been hot and humid here as well.

Hopefully they've remedied the paint issues and all of yours will be great. Can't wait to see it come together.

• Kimberly N
    8 years ago

My walnut doors with clearcoat. They are beautiful. I'm so in love with the wood grain.

I've only seen a few tiny imperfections -- normal with the variations of a natural wood door. And one clearcoat drip. Which I think I'll just ignore.

So excited. Less excited that we discovered we need an electrician to move all the wiring that dipped just a tiny bit into our soffit space.

The door also have a soft, smooth almost sensual feel to them. Love it. And a really substantial presence.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Very nice! I was thinking you were getting painted doors, so I'm glad all turned out well.

• jailcrowofmandos
    8 years ago

Jonathan Lewis, we also had some issues w/holes in the wrong places and several panels that were poorly aligned. With a lot of tweaking and wiggling, we were able to fix most of the alignment problems ourselves. What we weren't able to fix was eventually hidden by trim or doors, so we don't notice it now. DH actually had to drill new holes for one of the cabinets because the holes that Barker drilled were in the wrong place entirely! It was eventually covered by an end panel, so it wasn't a big deal, although annoying. ;)

Thankfully, our drawer boxes were all square and, luckily, we had no missing parts. We only had to reorder a few things that we were completely unable to fix and that's why I didn't mention this stuff in my previous posts.

I think the problem is that even though they're using CNC (computer numerical control) technology to machine the parts, which is extremely accurate, if their volume is high enough, for example, eventually, a human is going to make a mistake by not putting a panel in the machine straight or something like that. It doesn't take much to screw up something if you're dealing w/such a small margin of error.

I found an older thread on GW about the alignment problem and Chad Barker himself responded to the issues:

Barker cabinet box concerns

Kimberly N, holy cow! Those are some gorgeous doors!!

Beautiful floors, designsaavy! I can't wait to see your final product! :)

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Truck is coming today to deliver the replacement items. Hope to get through it in the next couple days. It was June 8th when I submitted all the info and photos of the issues. Perhaps that will give those with replacements coming a timeframe.

Everything else is still lying on my living area floor. I'm afraid to install any of it until countertops go in mid-August. I don't want any damage to the cabinets when they bring the granite in.

• lenzai
    8 years ago

Thank you for the updates designsaavy. My cabinets just got delivered today, we still have to get them into the house though! I'm glad to hear issues were resolved even if it took some time. I better unpack everything and check all the cabinets now to give me time to reorder.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I hope you don't have to reorder!!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Order came. One long skid for everything. I have refrigerator tall panels, end panels and doors. All stacked on each other in this condition. Think I'm happy?

That's the corner all smashed and paint gone on the corner of the second pic.

Trouble with shipper this time? :(

• beth09
    8 years ago

Disgraceful. I am SO sorry you are going through this ds. :( Wow.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just called Barker Cabinets and sent pics. Not even going to open the shipment. Gonna sit down and have a little cry.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

I am SO sorry. I feel sick for you.

I live 30 minutes from the Barker shop. I was just out there about two weeks ago to drop off our interior doors to be painted their Pure White by the painters next door. The paint shop is so busy they had stopped accepting new outside jobs for the rest of the summer (they made an exception for me because i originally contacted them months before.)

The Barker building is under construction and they're expanding it a lot. Considering this, I was giving them all the benefit of the doubt that they are really busy and in transition. Whether that's a valid excuse or not, I don't know. I could probably wait another four months if I was confident they would be in good condition, but I'm going to learn from your experience. We were planning to order from them soon, but your experience today is the final nail in that plan's coffin. Your experience plus the four month wait is just ridiculous. After a total gut renovation on this house over the past 1-1.5 years, I just want a smooth cabinet experience.

Ikea here we come :-P

Maybe we'll look into Barker later for replacement doors, since we've already got matching Pure White interior doors in the works. Ugh.

Thank you for keeping us posted through all this! I'm so sorry.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

I don't mean to pile in, but I used Scherr's for painted RTA cabinets. The finish was beautiful. The packaging for shipment was really good. My only problem was I didn't order some trim that I ended up needing. They expedited and I had it within two weeks.

Like everyone here, I had the choice of Scherr's or Barker's. I paid a little more for the customer service from Scherr's. I'm glad I did. Email wasn't going to be enough if something went wrong. I'm sure Barker's will get their act together at some point. It sounds like growing pains.

Looking at the picture, most of the shipment inside looks good. I'm willing to bet if you pick through it, the bulk of the damage may be the refrigerator panel edges. You may be able to use the refrigerator panels by flipping them so that the damaged edge is on the interior. Hopefully, that will be the case. Just make sure you have plenty of pictures to document the problem.

I know it won't make Designsaavy feel any better. Best to go have a good cry and await instructions from Barker's.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Oh no! I am so sorry.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I'm in contact with them. There's no way I would accept those refrigerator panels. They are smashed with the paint removed.

We will be going through everything. We'll see.

• jailcrowofmandos
    8 years ago

Oh, no, designsaavy, I'm so sorry. :( That could be the shipper's fault but if Barker didn't protect the panels properly, they could also be culpable. I hope that's the only problem you found this time.

I'm not surprised to hear that Barker's expanding. Clearly, they're getting a lot of business these days (I wouldn't be surprised if a good bit of it is from GW), but that's not an excuse to me for what's been happening w/their quality control. They need to get it together or their expansion may turn out to be premature.

We've considered using Barker again for additional projects, but we're unlikely to do so now. We'll probably go w/Scherr's.

• michoumonster
    8 years ago

designsavvy, hope they fix your issues soon!

i am wondering if all of the people who have had issues with barker's are with finished cabinets (versus just getting raw cabs)?

jailcrow, did you get a quote from scherr's yet? I am wondering if they are priced comparably now. a while ago, i had asked them for a quote but for my specs, they were quite a bit more than barker's and even a local cab maker. but i am hoping that time was a fluke. always good to have more options!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

We opened all packages last night, took lots of pictures until about 10:00 last night, and downloaded them.

This morning I renamed them all to correspond with each door #, and in the process of composing an email with attachments.

I'll update you all later.

• seb225
    8 years ago

My neighbor who purchased unfinished cabinets from Barkers is also having issues. I checked on her this morning and she is waiting on replacement parts for several boxes. She also had a stack of about 8-10 boards off to the side that were unlabeled, "homeless" ones and she couldn't identify their location. Perhaps those could belong to some of you here?!?! The units she has assembled look nice but the delays on her project hasn't been worth it. Plus we noticed an increase in the current prices over her order placed in April. We can't figure out how a decrease in customer care and quality justified a price increase.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Fwiw, I would not say we have had bad issues exactly.

I posted a picture above showing three different colors in a corner. But while I think the difference in the trim piece color is not good, I also think it is something that could happen with any company. My GC found a work around so we won't ever know how Barker would have responded.

I think the edge banding color being off is worse in a way because I think it is all that way. But it doesn't show anywhere else in our kitchen and maybe it doesn't show anywhere in most kitchens?

I'd say the drawer fronts being slightly off in size is the worst of it for us. Again my GC will fix it for us, so we won't ever know how barker would have handled it.

I guess what what I trying to say is that I think the issues with our cabinets are relatively minor and could happen with any line. Since we aren't giving barker a chance to address them, I can't evaluate how they would do. Other people are having much worse problems though and I don't mean to diminish that at all!

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Except for the island and toe kick which are unpainted that we will paint ourselves, all of ours are painted from Barker.

I didn't complain to them about the edge banding on the front of the cabinets, which are a bit sheer and rough. Hoping the doors cover the majority of it.

The cabinet boxes are built well. IMO, the problem, at least with our order, lies with their painting and shipping departments. Fuzz and gouges in the paint, and some sides of the doors feel like sandpaper they're so rough. A few doors are all wrapped together and then wrapped well with heavy cardboard. But, when you open it, you see that there is very thin foam between the doors that don't completely cover each door, so the other part of the doors rub together creating scuff marks that are glossy and blotchy.

BTW, this was all mentioned after our original order was received this way, and obviously those issues weren't addressed.

• beth09
    8 years ago

" We can't figure out how a decrease in customer care and quality justified a price increase."

More and more, this seems to be the "American way". :/

• jailcrowofmandos
    8 years ago

michoumonster, no, we haven't contacted Scherr's yet. Our next project is installing hardwood on an entire floor (1000 sq ft or so), so it will be awhile before we enter the cabinet game again! lol There are lots of threads about Scherr's on GW though, so a search might turn up something for you on price. :) (Incidentally, that's one of the things I love most about GW: people aren't afraid to talk about price.)

designsaavy, we were surprised when we opened our shipping palettes from Barker to find that a lot of the cabinet parts, although strapped together, were just packed inside the cardboard container w/no foam or protection whatsoever, not even on the edges. We didn't find any shipping damage, but I'd say we were lucky. Their packaging methods in some instances certainly leave a lot to be desired. :/

• homechef59
    8 years ago

It took me longer to unpackage a Scherr's cabinet than it took to assemble it. We had no packing damage. We did have two toe kicks that had assembly holes that were slightly off. We contacted Leon and he said that the CNC machines could get out of sinc. Luckily for us, those were interior parts and we could work around it. He was very concerned and wasn't happy until we were happy. It was a minor inconvenience and hardly worth mentioning. I only said something because it may explain why some of the Barker's units were not aligning. If the CNC machine slips in the process, after all it's all computerized, it will result in a misalignment. You just won't know until you try to assemble something.

• Barker Doors
    8 years ago

Chad Barker from Barker Cabinet here!

I read through this post and see some concerning comments :(

First of all, we have been nothing but supportive when offering remakes of painted cabinet doors for any project. Our policy is to make the customer happy regardless of all other factors. I am not here to argue, LOL, I used to work in the restaurant business when I was in college and know about customer service ;)

When designsavy sent pictures of the cabinet doors received, a lot of the issues we extremely small and common on a painted cabinet doors. Others unfortunately, were larger issues that the painters should not have missed and my QC guys should have caught. Remember, these doors are touched dozens of times by human hands during production to get them just right. In addition, lets remember that doors have multiple coats of paint, and a final extremely high grit sanding process is used to remove any over spray that would cause a rough surface. Small rub spots in the sheen can happen anywhere in transport, but we do pack these things up nice and tight to prevent any issues. This can also happen when unpacking the doors on site after delivery but that is beside the point and we would still take care of you :)

Damage in transit is not very common but when it happens, it really happens! CRASH AND BURN on that pallet! I received the email with the picture of the broken pallet. If you look at the bottom of the pallet you will see a 6" wide 3/4" piece of plywood that has been completely broken, or sawed apart from the looks of it. There is also a 3/4" end cap on the end that has been completely removed and discarded in transit, exposing our finished product. The end cap is secured with 3" long framing nails, so the HULK must have had a field day with this one. I am no forensic scientist, but the amount of force it would take to break of of our pallets, or the plywood runner along the bottom for that matter, is enormous! I have contacted the freight company regarding this issue and hopefully they will find the person responsible and reprimand them accordingly. At least they acted surprised in their emailed response :0

I have heard people call in to question the quality of our painted products. Lets remember that this is a real wood door, with two coats of primer, and two additional coats of conversion varnish based paint, with sanding being performed after each step. Each coat is hand sprayed and applied for even coverage in a climate controlled industrial spray booth. Our real wood cabinets doors are built from a living material and sprayed by a living person here in Oregon :) The degree of perfection offered here is extremely high, but when you factor in the hand made features of our doors, then you are certain to see some very minor irregularities over the course of the process. Take the competition for example. IKEA will use a thermo-foil (melamine wrapped) cabinet door (MDF core) and stay away for the solid woods in their cabinets. Thermofoil tends to break down after about 5 years, flaking off and causing issues resulting in the need for new cabinet doors. In fact, this is one of the main reasons our other company, Barker Door, gets orders for replacement doors. Remember, Barker Cabinets and IKEA, are two completely different products, both worlds apart. Synthetic cabinets versus real wood are completely different. I will let you decide which is better ;)

For the edge banding question, we use a color and sheen match PVC edge banding that is matched to a "cured" paint sample of the color ordered. Yes, paint will cure and change in color slightly as it cures with oxygen and UV exposure. The PVC color matched edge banding is used for durability concerns. Using a painted real wood edge banding would flake and chip off over time. Trust me on that --- or don't trust me as some of the posts sound like you don't much like me right now :( --- we used to use a painted wood edge on our cabinets back in the 90s and it just didn't last as long as we would like. Our cabinets are designed and built to last 20 to 30 years. This banding will last for decades and will keep your cabinets looking brand new all while matching up perfectly to a cured conversion varnish paint. Regardless, the door will be covering most of the edge banding on the cabinet case anyways. Furthermore, some other cabinet companies will use the interior material for the edge banding, like a pre-finished maple banding to match the interior of the cabinet case. This is common, but in my opinion, then the door is open, the face of the cabinet case looks better if it is the same color as the cabinet doors. Again, you decide...

Overall, we are very receptive to any sort of inquires you may have. If you are not happy with something that is even as small as a tiny rub mark on the door or a bit of wood grain showing through the paint, then let me know and I will take care of it. Since day one, we have always offered the best value for the highest quality cabinet possible. When a customer doesn't like something, we offer replacements, easy! Have a question, send me an email. Have a problem, send me an email. We will take care of you 100%.

Chad Barker

CEO Barker Cabinets

chad@barkercabinets.com

PS, I am going to visit family in Canada for the weekend. If you are in Vancouver, send me an email and we can get a drink and have a chat! Should be fun!

• jailcrowofmandos
    8 years ago

Did Chad Barker just drop the mic on this thread? XD lol

Or was he just fishing for drinking buddies to do a pub crawl w/him in Vancouver? ;)

Seriously though, I was going to comment on his post but since I didn't start this thread, I thought that designsaavy and any other commenters who have current issues w/Barker cabinets should go first. If no one is interested, however, I'll dive right in a little later! :]

Btw, nice to see you still showing an interest in the comments on GW, Chad! Making sure that customers know that you are aware of their concerns is important. :)

• User
    8 years ago

Sorry, but their cabinets have always had issues with QC. Suburbanjuls posted a pic a few years ago and the alignment tolerances were poor even then. It was bad enough that I assumed that the first pic posted was actually a framed line, with the recess for a side panel. What's really sad is those issues have continued. (She ended up going with Ultracraft.)

Sure, they are better than chinesecrapola, but they are no where near a Brookhaven or Kitchencraft or other mid range line. And certainly not anywhere near to the quality of an Omega Full Access. (All of which are already assembled and maybe 10% more costly, BTW.) Which, for the price and DIY labor involved, you would have expectations of them being.

You can get similar construction tolerances from import garbage for less money. You're buying better quality plywood, and a medium ability to customize, an online in your bathrobe experience, and the fact that they are manufactured on American soil. You can get much more customization, more finish choices, better construction tolerances, and an American made product. You just can't fill out a shopping cart online and will have to go talk with someone in person..

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

We have a few doors that have to be reordered. These are completely our fault, not barkers. The time line for getting the replacements is 6-8 weeks. I guess I can understand that we don't go to the head of the line for things that are our mistakes, but it is a bit of a disappointment to have to wait that long. I have no idea how other cabinet companies would handle this and I am posting it just as a data point for anyone who is interested.

• User
    8 years ago

Most lines have a rush response that bypasses those waiting to begin production. That's why a little leeway in the production line is always a built in. In case someone else's screwup needs to have precedence. Some lines willl do express resonse for any order that has been already received by the customer, regardless of fault, and some would only use the rush orders for cabinet company or designer errors.

At the price being paid here, the no fault rush response would be standard for up to 10 items in most decent semi custom lines. That would be 7 days for moldings and other small UPS FedEx shippables, 7-10 days for doors and drawer fronts and interior accessories that are Ground shippable, and 14-28 days for whole cabinets that have to come LTL.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

First off, thank you for prioritizing customer satisfaction as your goal. Yes, some of the problems were bigger than others, but no problem should be called "common" if it's preventable.

Yes, I know there's a multistep process to paint these cabinets to get a smooth, quality finish. It's like having a nicely painted car....where it makes the imperfections like scuff marks, scratches and improper sanding show up even more.

Again, had the doors been individually wrapped to prevent any painted wood to wood contact, I don't believe we would have the rubbing together during shipment causing the scuff mark glossy areas. If you think that people unpacking the doors are damaging them, perhaps a video showing how to unpack is in order.

The first step to resolving this issue is having a conversation about what the issues are which is what we've been doing since the initial order was received. Thankfully, Barker is a company that is willing to do that vs. other companies here that won't.

The second step is identifying the problem which we've listed above.

The third step is acknowledging that something needs to change. The definition of insanity is doing something the same way over and over expecting a different result. To avoid the results we've gotten twice, something needs to change.

Looking forward to a beautiful kitchen!

• User
    8 years ago

Well, those pictures from 2 years ago sure do look like a continuing pattern of poor machining to me. Especially since that same issue is still being reported from multiple sources. It may be difficult for some to judge fit and finish, as they may only do a project of this nature one in their life. However, when someone who has dealt with thousands of projects says that the alignment and precision is badly off, pay attention.

Wanna share pics of your kitchen, Ashley? Close ups of the boxes now and during assembly would be great to add to the thread.

• adja
    8 years ago

I'm sorry I haven't been able to follow on my reply after we received our first shipment. I have been out of the country for some time now... Chad and his team received the pictures I posted here and replied immediately with the assurance that everything would be fixed timely. Chad even offered to send me a new MW case I ordered (with the wrong color edging) for free and he did! I sent me email on 6/8 and started receiving the replacement pieces about 2 weeks later and by the end of the month I had received all of them. I can't say enough about how happy I am they never doubted me and about the timeliness and quality of the product. Yes I had to adjust doors and yes it was harder than I thought but my installer told us it was nothing he'd never seen with other brands. They all need to be adjusted per his opinion. True or not I don't know because this is my one and only experience remodeling a kitchen. I will post some pics as soon as I go back home next month and finally start enjoying my new kitchen. :-)

• Maine Susan
    8 years ago

I just found this thread and will have to take some time to read all thru it. Been wondering about RTA cabinets in hopes of keeping some costs down if that would be considerable, now I don't know after reading just a bit here. Hopefully all these probs will be worked out and NOT the norm. Will also google this company. Would love to have some feedback on the actual monetary savings comparison if anyone could let me know. Will be back after work... THX Susan

• User
    8 years ago

Price Comparison shown in this thread. You have to do all of the design work, assembly, and only end up saving less than 10%. With much fewer choices.

• homechef59
    8 years ago

Maine Susan, I saved around 40%. I used Scherr's RTA. It allowed me to have nicer cabinets for my buying dollar. It's not for everyone. Do some RTA searches on GW. There is a lot of information. I had a successful project.

• Nothing Left to Say
    8 years ago

Just FYI, ikea is a very inexpensive RTA option. I haven't used the new line, sketion, but it seems to be getting solid reviews. The previous ikea line, arkrum, was a great value. The ikea planner tool can help you determine if their cabinet sizes would work for your kitchen and will give you a total price for the cabinets. If you have an ikea nearby, I suggest checking it out.

• PRO
    Barker Cabinets
    8 years ago

Hello everyone, I am back in the good ole USA! It was a great time, but nobody emailed me to meet up :( Probably right, as we don't advertise in Canada and we don't ship there anyways :/ But it was fun, I ended up going to a place called "Cactus Club" and had a drink call a "Bellini". If you visit, do this! Let me tell you! This drink is dispensed from what can only be described as a glorified Slurpee machine and then topped with Champagne, or something of that sort. It is like a peach slushy with alcohol, truly top notch, and my wife and I loved it! Well, that's Canada anyways.......

Soooooo, I'm back and have some good info to share. Referring to any mis-aligned parts, this is truly a rarity. If the cabinet part is mis-aligned, then it is likely human error when placing the part on our CNC equipment. They are calling you out Oliver, you rapscallion! Oliver is the guy running parts on our CNC, if you care to know ;) You rascal! You run 10,000 parts a week and just couldn't get that one to square up, how could you! Shame, shame, shame! But seriously, Oliver is a classy guy and I would put him up against any other CNC operator. CNC Olympics anyone?! Not sure the IOC would pick that one up, but maybe worth a shot....

Regardless, if you have an issue where one part is off, then email me a picture of the label and I can have that part remade "on the fly" and have a "runner" deliver it promptly (restaurant lingo everyone, LOL). Remakes of cabinet parts usually take a whole 24 to 48 hours. Heck, even if you accidentally drop a cabinet part by accident and it is damaged, I can have it remade at no charge. It is just a good, or great, business practice in my opinion!

So a little background on what drives our company. With all decisions, we refer to rule number one:

"I WONT SELL YOU ANYTHING THAT I WOULD NOT PUT INTO MY OWN HOME."

Comprehensive rule, eh (picked up the "eh" in Canada, are you impressed with my worldly demeanor yet?). This is the rule that has guided our cabinet line since day "numero uno" (I also studied in Spain in college and this is the most practice I get, sad, I know). Don't forget that rule as I will refer back to it many times later on in my post. And a great rule it is!

I hear people talking about price and that is really a subjective subject. The competition historically keeps their initial prices low so it is more attractive to the buyer. They will often quote your first go around, with a cheaper interior material, cheaper drawer boxes, cheaper slides, cheaper hinges, you get the idea. Once you get further into the design, they will start the upgrades. By this point you are already so invested with them emotionally, and mentally, that they know a few upgrades beyond your initial budget won't spoil the deal. Win, win, right? (<read that with a sarcastic tone, I don't have an emoji for that). I could do the same thing to get our prices closer to what IKEA offers, but that violate rule #1, so nope. We include all the best and most awesome features in our initial cabinet price so there are no hidden upgrades that will increase the price of your final project. It kind of like a warm blanket of trust knowing it's all taken care of, or like a Disney cruise? Yes, just like a Disney cruise. If you cannot tell, I went on a Disney cruise last year and it was top notch. The kids loved it and I must admit I was impressed. I should stop plugging my personal life, but you are a captive audience, muahahahah!

Side note here. On my way into work this morning I stopped at the local big box store. I looked at the "status quo" cabinets. You know, the large multinational chain cabinet lines. With this you get an endless variety of brands that saturate the market with multiple cabinet lines all owned by the same company. For example, Masterbrand has nine different lines they offer! That is awesome, and confusing to me, but I am a simple guy :(

If you have never visited Portland, then you will see a distinct anti-corporate tone when researching local businesses. We are most definitely not a multinational corporation offering the same reworked product over and over. To me, that is not sexy. Here, it's just me and 50 other cabinet makers building a product that we love and care about. Heck, this company has my name on it. In regards to the "Status quo" cabinet lines, I am sure they are great quality and I am not here to bash the competition. IT WOULD BE HIGHLY UNPROFESSIONAL FOR ME TO START BASHING OTHER CABINET LINES THAT I HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY RECEIVED A PRODUCT FROM. So I won't do it, it's just not cool. But I can point out some things that I like about our cabinets, right? :)

Let's look at dovetail drawer boxes at the local cabinet dealer. Run your finger vertically over the dovetail joinery. Likely those joints are jagged and/or part of the joint is raw. Now, feel our dovetailed drawer boxes. SMOOTH! Ours are sanded smooth, then we apply a multi step conversion varnish over the already smooth and fully assembled drawer box. This creates truly high end dovetail joinery. Again, rule #1 here folks. I could do it cheaper and increase profit, but that is not the way to build a legacy that will last an eternity, or cabinet for that matter :)
    Look at the finish. What type of paint or stain is being used. Latex, lacquer, or high end conversion varnish? It seems that more and more they use a product that will live long enough for the warranty to expire, then you are on your own. That is great for their profitability, but bad for my rule #1. With our cabinets, we use an alcohol based conversion varnish. This is top of the line people :) Again, I could switch it over to a latex, laquer, or water based conversion varnish, and cut our cost immensely. I will shake my head now and refer to rule #1 again :( Yes, the finish is super fine and smooth, so I do expect our customers to be picky, I would be as well, rule #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always think of Steve Jobs when writing these public forum posts, "Hey, you are holding you Iphone wrong, that's why the antenna doesn't work well!" LOL, not really, get off you high-horse Chad, you are not that cool and draw no parallels to Steve Jobs! :( But there is some great take-aways that I have learned over the years from some of history's great business leaders. First, all parts of the product should be beautiful, even the ones you cannot see once installed. The edge banding, the dovetails in the drawer box, the doors, the finish, etc. Since day one we have been focused on building a high end cabinet, and putting profitability in second position. Yes, we need to make a profit to continue doing this, but the value of what we sell is ridiculously high in my humble yet highly subjective opinion ;)

Since everyone is listening, who want some tips and tricks? Well, here they are regardless if you are tired reading my rambling posts! Here you go:

1. If you are ordering sample doors or cabinets, submit you order before Tuesday at 12pm (PST). Why? Because we run one batch of rush samples each week at this time. Ordering at this time will ensure the shortest lead time, otherwise the sample order waits until the next batch is processed next week. If you are ordering just the little wood sample chips, then those ship immediately, so disregard this tip.

2. For questions and support, we are second to none! Check out our own forums if you have a question. If you have a question about anything, then it is likely that some other customer has probably already asked that question on our forums. This gives you a faster way to get answers and advice. BarkerForums.com is where it is at!

3. We are always adding new cabinets to our cabinet line. New cabinets will include corner storage options, pullout racks, etc. If you see something on another line that you just simply love, send me an email and I will add it to my list of possible future additions. Customer demand helps drive our product offerings and additions, that how we build our cabinet line :)

PS I am happy to see a lot of our past customers on here supporting our products. Same is true for our current and future customers, welcome to the family :) We will work together to make your project truly shine!

jailcrowofmandos, time to drop that mic again. BAM!

-Chad Barker
    CEO - Barker Cabinets

chad@barkercabinets.com

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My range hood is made! In two pieces here and has to be painted, but it sure is nice to see something finished.

42" wide x 55" tall. 38-1/2" wide at the bottom, but 42" at widest part of bottom section molding.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

This is the range hood we used as an example, but without the arch. Dimensions, of course, are different.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Jailcrow...thank you for summing it up.

PS: I hope your post doesn't disappear! :)

• beth09
    8 years ago

Chad, what you do when things go wrong is greater than all you ever do right. Your reputation is at stake here. Be careful, your character is showing.

• Kimberly N
    8 years ago

I asked many, many questions before ordering both directly to Chad and on the forums. He communicates very well ... and I appreciate that transparency. He stayed polite even though I probably asked some questions people have asked over and over, all without knowing if I'd ever come through with an order.

Yes, it is a limited product. However, those products suit some people. Yes, some people prefer the ability to order for themselves and not have layers of people obscuring the information. The fact that people order from one company rather than another is not an attack on all the other companies.

People have problems every day with cabinet orders, probably with every cabinet line under the sun. Some complain here, some to their designers or contractors. Some are left with zero ways to deal with the manufacturer.

I think it is fair to seek information and support here, look for solutions, and crowdsource info. I don't think it is productive for businesses to take potshots at each other. That puts everyone in a negative frame of mind.

At some point I'm going to take a picture of my, err, 'naughty' door. Let's just say ... wood grain -- it can have a lot of variations. I hope by then that everyone will be in good humor enough to smile or laugh along with me.

• designsaavy
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Looks like Ashley disappeared as well.

Paranormal activity. :)

• beth09
    8 years ago

"Looks like Ashley disappeared as well.

Paranormal activity. :)"

Indeed, something is amiss. After reading another post disappeared (Ashley), I looked back through this thread. My post from Monday at 5:43 PM appears after Mr. Barkers, which was NOT there in the beginning. Mine was right after jailcrow's. At that time Mr. B's were nowhere to be found. And now his is there and jailcrow's is gone.

jailcrow, did you remove your post asking if he deleted his post? the one I responded to?

Something smells.

• Ashley
    8 years ago

Thats weird! I did not delete my post, but in short it said I had a great experience with our doors from barker. We used them on ikea bases for built ins in our last house. Ive tried searching Google for our realtor photos, but can't find them. Our contractor installed the built ins, but he never mentioned any issues. We sold almost 2 years ago. I know stuff can happen to anyone, but I juse wanted to add a positive side to anyone on the fence.

• jailcrowofmandos
    8 years ago

You're welcome, designsaavy. Please keep us posted on your kitchen's progress! :)

beth09, no, I didn't delete any of my own posts. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume that when Chad's posts reappeared, for whatever reason, the posts asking why his comments disappeared (one of which was mine) were deleted by a moderator because they were no longer accurate in regards to the thread.

• beth09
    8 years ago

Thanks jail, that well may be the case, but then it's kinda odd mine remained, since it doesn't help "cover up" the fact that a post was removed initially.

I have to say, I've been on a lot of forums, but none that did not have a time limit on editing and deleting of posts. I personally think that's good policy. What happened in this thread, should not have.