SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cstaronka

Deer ate my apple tree

cstaronka
8 years ago

3. Hello All,

This is my first posting on GardenWeb, and I wish it was a better topic, but a deer really went to town on my new apple tree. I had it in the ground about two weeks and didn't do my homework because I failed to surround the tree with fencing. Now, about 80 percent of the leaves are gone from the tree! It is a four way combo tree and some branches are better than others. My questions are as follows:

1. Does my tree have a chance? I'm concerned it lost too much green and might die!

2. Are apple trees hardy against this? There is no damage to the branches or trunk, as the deer concentrated on the leaves they could reach.

3. Will the leaves grow back this year?? The tree is about 6-1/2 feet tall, and it looked so beautiful with its rich foliage. I'm not so concerned with fruit here, but will the foliage return where it was eaten off, or will it look like this through the summer?

As of now, I have surrounded the tree with fencing to prevent any further damage, but the deer took just about everything they could reach. The top parts of the tree remain green and intact, and even appear to be healthy. I suspect this happened 2-3 days ago, so I'm guessing that if these leaves still look good then maybe the tree will survive. Anybody who has insight on these questions, please help!! I just want to know if my tree will come back healthy this year or if it is doomed.

Comments (7)