SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thenorthernmost_byrnes

Brand New Gardener. Seeking advice. Questions within.

The internet is a deep deep resource with conflicting accounts on so many different topics, so I thought I'd just dive in and get my hands dirty. I'm a first time homeowner, first time gardener in Grand Rapids, MI (Zone 5b) and as a chef, I'm all about fresh vegetables and herbs. So I thought, what better what to get the freshest than to start growing my own?!

As I'm sure most beginners experienced, I got overwhelmed with all the knowledge you provided from the internet, and frankly finding a place to begin is the hardest part. I decided to start three projects at once, and well you'll see how that's working out. I began building a coldframe, a 3 compartment compost bin, and a raised bed garden (it will be eventually). I have a 2 year old, and a 2 month old, so my time is always thin and getting things done doesn't always happen as fast I'd like.

I'm the bearded one.

Everything I'm doing is being built from reclaimed pallet wood and the cheapest plants or seeds I can find.

I started with the cold frame.

All that's left to do is outfit the inside with styrofoam for insulation, attach the window, and add the handles.

All the cuts for the compost bins and all the corners and center pylons have been constructed, but it hasn't been put together, and I have no pictures of that.

I seeded early, but killed everything but the Jalapenos, Bell Peppers, Parsley, and Basil. The dead include Cherry and Beefsteak Tomatoes, and just about every other major herb. I determined that I over-watered at the beginning and killed most of them. I didn't have them under enough light, nor in a steady temperature environment, and I planted like 6-8 seeds per socket in the flat. Learned that lesson.

So I started on the garden once I was able to maintain the ones that survived, and I just bought some Tomatoes, Chard, Thyme, Oregano, Rosemary, and Brussel Sprouts. I direct seeded some Pole Beans, Okra, and Carrots.

I started by removing the sod and transplanting to a part of my yard that was missing grass. The garden is 15 x 7.

I did it with a String guides, a flat shovel, some gloves, a hand cultivator, and a tree saw (for cutting the roots deep,) and my 2yo's toboggan (for moving the sod.)

The left and the right sides of the garden are planted now and there's nothing in the middle. On the left side, I added 3 bags of topsoil and 1 bag of mushroom compost to the side with the tomatoes on it, but did nothing but cultivate the side with the beans. Here's what it looks like.

My cat sat on and killed the Tomato plant in the middle, I've since replaced it, and planted a Brussel Sprout as well. The Chard had just been transplanted in and not yet watered when this photo was taken. They're looking much better right now.

My problem is that something is eating the leaves on my Beans, and I'm afraid my Okra is next. These things look similar to ants, but I don't think they are, or they're just some breed I've never heard of before. I do have regular ants in there as well, but they're black and small. They're also on in the middle. These munchy critters are burrowing near the bean plants. I don't really want to drop any poison on my stuff, but I will if I have to. I'd like to know what to do about these bugs. I have a video below, but I can't get a close up picture because my phone won't focus on them, and they won't sit still.

Any other pointers about the other things in my garden would be nice. I'm pretty sure I planted things too close to my tomatoes, oh I added tomatoes cages to them today so they have some structure. And I've fertilized once with Miracle-Gro Vegetable Food. The pink stuff.

I eventually plan on installing an 18" fence around the garden (pallet wood), and converting it to a raised bed garden next year. I'll also be building a 6' structure for the beans to climb. Keep in mind that I've got less than $100 in all three of these projects (with the exception of the original purchase that started all of this, my Makita Compound Sliding Miter Saw. <3 $220 at the pawn shop!)

Here's the bug video.

So, I know this is a lot, but thank you for reading all of it, and I'm so very appreciative to any and all advice! Thanks!

Tim.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH