SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

new to forum -- seeking conifer advice

DYH
17 years ago

I'm new to your forum...I spent a lot of time last year on the home forum while we were building our house. We moved in September 2005.

Anyway, over the winter I want to plan the backyard garden (north side of house) and have woods bordering the backyard.

I'd like to include some conifers. Being in North Carolina, the conifers will have to work well in zone 7. I am already using cryptomeria japonica 'globosa nana', cryptomeria japonica 'Jindai Sugi', cryptomeria japonica 'black dragon' and deodar cedar outside the fence and a couple of thuja inside the fence.

What are your favorites for textures and color combinations?

I need deer resistant conifers that will remain under 10-12 feet in height at maturity. I don't want a privacy screen, I want to have conifers of different shapes, sizes, colors and textures in a mixed border for the foliage and background for other woody ornamentals and perennials.

I'm including some recent photos so you can see the south and east gardens. Nothing is more than 1 year old from being planted and I just spent 3 months designing and installing the hardscape and plant material for the patio, dry streambed and front shrub garden. The fragrance garden around the patio isn't shown well in the photo, but there is an arbor at the lower north end of the new dining patio that will be the beginning of the backyard garden.

Many thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: current garden

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville