SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
driftwoodandmarble

Size of dining room to accommodate 13ft extension table (seats 16)

We are at the very beginning stages of planning a new home build. For 2 years now we have been gathering information, pics, wants and needs, rough floor plan ideas, layout, size of rooms etc. and will soon be hiring our architect (have narrowed it down to 2). My open plan kitchen, eat in area and great room will be partially open to the formal dining area. This is a must for the way we live. As we add up room size requirements as part of the package we present to our architect, I seem to be at odds figuring out a few spaces, and at the moment I am stuck on my dining room.

We have huge families and entertain a sit down dinner of at least 16 about 8-10 times a year. More often than that we have friends and family of about 10 sitting down for dinner any given night. My new table will be 10ft long (seats 12) in its usual position and will extend to 13ft (seats16). What would be a comfortable size dining room to accommodate this table, a 7ftWx2ftD buffet piece and another shelving type piece that is 6ftWx18inD with enough space. Not sure yet which wall will be open to the other spaces but pretty sure it will be one long wall. We are very flexible at this point as we are only in the rough sketch layout phase. My current DR is open to the kitchen and living room so do not have much to go by there-the space is open on 3 sides so I don't know the amount of space required around chairs that are seated or pulled out. I know this will take a big chunk of the square footage on this plan so that is why I seem to be stuck on getting it right. It will determine the layout of our first floor actually so I almost feel the need to begin here. Thanks in advance for any insight you may have in a similar size room of your own, or a room you have built or designed.

Comments (6)