SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrodri

Turning my living room into a dining room

mrodri
15 years ago

Hi All,

I just recently discovered Garden Web while searching for kitchen appliance reviews and love it. I've resolved my kitchen appliance dilema (have decided to go with an American Range) but have been struggling with whether or not to make my formal living room into a dining room since we bought our house 7 years ago. So far in seven years we have never used our living room. We are replacing our kitchen appliances now (don't have a choice they're all starting to go) but plan to remodel the rest of the kitchen in about 3 years (keeping these appliances of course as we are going with all standard sizes). Currently you walk into a small foyer with the living room just to the left. Behind the living room is our kitchen followed by a good size great room addition, done by a previous owner, that we very happy with. We basically spend most of our time in this part of the house. The great room has a large farm table in it where we eat all our meals, have holidays, hang out with the kids and company, watch tv etc. The room has a great fireplace, vaulted ceiling, a lot of windows and slider out to the deck. The idea we are leaning towards is moving that dining table to the front of the house to what is currently the living room, making a doorway in that room that leads into the kitchen and making the entire great room a family room by getting rid of the dining table. We would then add a large island to the kitchen when we remodel that sits six. The great room is a good size it's just that half of it is family room and half of it is dining area right now.

As we get closer to completing our 1st floor (2nd floor remodel complete), we will need to make this decision. I am concerned that having a dining room when you 1st walk in won't look right and if I still need a table in the back of the house. Is a large island enough? I picture our family using this dining room almost every night and the island more for breakfast, lunch or when we are not all together at meal time. As far as decorating, the dining room while not formal would still have to look really good since it's the 1st thing you see. Sorry for the long winded message. I know a lot of folks strongly believe a living room should always be first when you step into a home. Hope I posted this in the right forum; I'm new to this!

Comments (12)