SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cebury

LowE2 vs 3 indirect light

cebury
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

My house only has two windows on southern+western side. The overhang and both patios are large enough to block all direct sunlight on other windows.

When I requested quoting E2 on all windows and only E3 on the two exposed windows, salesman looked at me like an idiot and with condescending tone asked "why wouldn't you want the best everywhere for both comfort factors (U & Shgc)"

I replied "the u and AI value is the same between both but your lowe3 VT is a more than 10% darker window, in my already dark house. Besides, I don't think 2 vs 3 matters if there is no direct sunlight on them". He just shrugged.

Question 1: Am I wrong? Does reflected light also carry the infrared portion that would benefit from the extra "film"?

Question 2: doesn't the insulation (that u value measurement) reduce heat loss in winter as well as heat gain In summer via the window? All salesmen have said this is a winter only measurement, it doesn't help in summer, so I didn't argue that. My understanding of heat conduction means from hot side to cool, and convection via AI would transfer to which side is more pressured.

Please correct any ignorance I may have In this matter.

I very much want to respect salesmen who take their time to quote and not correct them, but sometimes it just matters which product to select.

Comment (1)