SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cpartist

New Elevations, Please Review (Epiphany Late Last Night)

cpartist
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

I've been struggling with wanting a house that has a craftsman feel but have several limitations because of zoning etc.

the two renditions are changes I made. Which if either of the two do you prefer?

I hope to have the corrected changes from the draftsman next week but I have to decide on whether to have the wider stonework or the lower stonework. I also expect his will look more accurate as to what I am trying to achieve.

Last night I was struggling with the overall look of the house, when I realized I should just move the upper gable (see this thread: Elevation thread ) down over the porch.

I removed the corner boards from the first floor. the first floor will be stucco.

I cannot remove the corner boards from the second floor if I want to do the siding (or ribbon coursing) upstairs which I do. I don't want the house to be all stucco. However, I can have them painted the same color as the rest of the siding upstairs which will minimize the effect of them. I know some have said it's been done before, but why create a problem with the builder if he's not familiar with doing it without the corner boards. (trust me, this is FL we're talking about and sometimes it's best to just go with it.)

Originally the upstairs had 10' ceilings. We lowered them to 9'4" which I think will also help to lower the overall feel of the house. (I did lower it in my drawing. Not sure it's exactly 8" lower.)

the builder said it's no problem to have the rafter tails and not box in the cornice. (I just don't know how to draw it correctly.) And there will be no muttonchops! LOL.

We cannot go higher up on grade. Something about runoff and flooding because the lot is already above grade. the disadvantage is it doesn't give me the porch with steps. the advantage as a retired person, it doesn't give me the porch with steps.

Renovator asked for a plan which I'll post after this since many have seen the plans already.

Comments (36)