SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Thursday/Friday Severe Weather Check-In Thread

Ooops. I know I am starting this late but I've been racing around all day trying to outfox Mother Nature. It doesn't work. She brought us flooding rains anyhow.

So, are y'all okay? Homes, gardens and landscaping okay? Pets? Boats? Children?

While we have local flooding and flash flooding, I think that the Texas side is getting the worst of it today. Our house is on high ground and won't flood. The garden? There are no words that can describe how wet it is. My garden is a pond with little rectangular islands (the raised beds) setting there surrounded by water. I am astonished at how well the plants have held up, given that we now have received over 35" of rainfall here. Probably over 36" if you count this morning's rain. That's a year's worth of rainfall in under 5 months.

We are fine, but we had a busy day in this county today, and we can blame a lot of the busyness on Mother Nature's excessive lightning and rainfall. I'm getting pretty tired of her misbehavior.

Please note: if you are trying to travel south through southcentral OK and down into Texas on I-35, be advised heavy rainfall is causing flash flooding, often including water on the highway and on/off ramps. Today the Hwy 82/I-35 on-ramps were closed at Gainesville, TX, for several hours due to flash flooding. Every time it rains, it seems like some portion along I-35 floods, especially once you cross into TX and are in Cooke or Denton County.

So, how's everyone else? I know the storms are supposed to continue all weekend so can we just make just the check-in thread for the whole weekend? We always can start a new thread if this one gets too long.

We wanted drought relief and we got it in the most incredible and spectacular fashion. This is almost (but not quite) enough to make me start hoping for drought to return.

Dawn

Comments (4)