SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleevendog

Rutabaga...

The ugly duckling of the brassica family or swede, (from Swedish turnip)...

.i had no idea it could be so good. I asked DH to look at what was available at the tiny 'hardware store' for a moose stew i made last week.. We have used three now the size of footballs. In just a couple weeks. He did some comparison shopping, : ). The carrots are from Israel, (expensive), the turnips are from PEI, the potatoes from NovaScotia...a few bags to choose from but the only ones not sprouting. Celery from CA US. Onions not sure. Chickens from Quebec. (no ofal inside and one had no legs, weird. roasted last night). But tiny and delicious....no legs (!?!)

I'm in Newfoundland for those popping in from elsewhere.

Surprised at the rutabaga. Flavor like a cross between a potato and sweet potato. Cooks the same time as my potato variety. First dish was a german style potato salad. Cooked separately thinking they might soften differently. We love them. I bet i've used them a couple times past but in a rich stew i bet the flavor would be hidden in such a rich broth/gravy.

I can't cook without celery, onion, carrot. The base for just about everything. Nice to find another root. Thinking of making rutabaga baked fries.

The potato salad that sparked the interest. A bit of a deconstructed cod cake. Wanted something light for a salad app. Potato and rutabaga salad with cod. Just a light fresh dressing tossed into the potato, cod on top with pistachios.

(prefer toasted pecans, but have to use what i have)

Comments (17)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor