SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
schneidc

Need help with HVAC in attic

schneidc
8 years ago

Hi all, I've appreciated reading your comments so much in the past that I have to ask for some help on our recent HVAC dilemma.

We have a 1955 Split Level in Wash. DC area. In 2004 we added a 4th level above the LR/DR/Kit area and went to 2 new HVAC systems. One system is in original closet in basement. One is in the unconditioned attic (took advantage of 1960's retrofit A/C air handler space). We've had problem after problem with the attic system (condensation drain kept freezing up until we rerouted and added heat tape this year, it now needs 2nd circuit board, needs new blower, multiple other parts replaced in past) and are going to replace it and need advice.

This attic system heats/cools just under 1,500 SF. The furnace is currently a 75K BTU, A/C is 2 tons...both Ducane. We trusted our GC and didn't do our homework unfortunately and ended up with these lower end units that met my wife's "energy efficient" criteria.

The simple solution is replace with a 60-66K BTU furnace, 2 ton A/C (Bryant/Carrier or Lennox). We've received 3 quotes for $7-9K however it's a mix of 80% and 96% AFUE furnaces. 1 contractor gave 80% AFUE to eliminate the freezing up problem.

So my long-winded question is do you have any recommendations on size of unit, type of unit, placement of unit?

- Is it too risky to go to 90% AFUE in the unconditioned space?

- Do we change system to utilize original 1955 ductwork and heat/cool 3 levels on one system (~1,900 SF) and go to a ductless system for the 4th newest level (~725 SF).

- Is it worth installing spray foam insulation to condition the space where the attic system resides? I've received 1 quote for $2,700-$2,900 (excluding removal of old insulation which is $1,000).

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but would really appreciate your comments. Thanks.

Comments (5)