SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mgh_pa

How much did you put away before considering building?

mgh_pa
8 years ago

Of course this is a loaded question with a wide variety of answers dependent on location, budget, construction style, etc. However, I've seen mention in a few threads on here in the past about having $100K in cash ready to go for the build process not including any equity.

My wife and I aren't in a HUGE hurry to build right now (she might be more than me). We have a great home that I've remodeled a ton in the last 6 years on 2 acres with non developed woods behind it along with a nice two story Gambrel barn. It's a split level, however, and we've done all we can to accommodate our growing family (first one on the way in November). We already have the land secured and will pay cash for it (it's in the family), so with that all locked down, it's just a matter of waiting until the time is right.

We a little over $40k saved along with around $140K in equity in our home (however, we would like to stay here during the construction phase so that doesn't really factor into it).

Most likely we would be building a 2700-3200 sq.ft, Crafttsman, and finishing a lot of it on our own as permitting allows (our township is pretty flexible with what needs to be done for an occupancy permit), but we will be budgeting $130/sq.ft for the build. We can afford much more, but don't want a life built around a massive mortgage.

Anyways, I know we're well short for savings right now, but realistically, what do most of you recommend having saved before beginning the process?

Just FYI, we haven't met with any builders, architects, etc., as this isn't happening for at least 1.5 years.

Comments (46)